TAMPA, Fla. - The No. 2 University of Tampa Spartans battled the Valdosta State University Blazers and were defeated, 5-3.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 2 Tampa Spartans 3, Valdosta State Blazers 5
Records: Tampa (19-6), Valdosta (18-9)
Location: UT Baseball Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series with a 28-20 record over the Blazers.
How it happened
- The Blazers started the top of the first out scoring one run on a homerun to center field.
- Danny Lee started out the bottom of the first inning after reaching on fielding error by the shortstop. Lee advanced to third on a single to right field by Kevin Santa. J.D. Osborne singled to left field and scored Lee giving the Spartans their first run, 1-0. Darren Miller singled to right field and scored Santa, making the score 2-1.
- In the bottom of the sixth Vin Cosenzo led off with a single to right field. Andrew DiLacqua came up behind him and singled to center field. The bases were then loaded after Connor Crile was hit by the pitch. Richie Rivera was up next to bat and hit a single to left field and advanced all runners and scored Cosenzo.
- The Blazers tied the game in the top of the seventh when they score two runs.
- The top of the ninth brought in two more runs for the Blazers as they hit a homer with one man on base.
- The Spartans attempted at closing in on the Blazers lead but were unsuccessful as they fell, 5-3.
Inside the Stats
- Crile went 2-2
- Miller went 2-4 with one RBI
- R. Rivera went 2-3 with one RBI
Tampa will return to action on Friday for a weekend series with Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University starting at 6 pm. Fans can watch through TampaSpartans.tv.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.