MOBILE, Ala. - The University of Tampa men's soccer team fell by a 6-1 score on the road to Spring Hill College.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Spring Hill 6, Tampa 1
Records: Tampa (1-1), Spring Hill (1-1)
Location: Liberty Field | Mobile, Ala.
All-time Series: Tampa is now 4-1 in the all-time series with Spring Hill with today's setback marking the first ever.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
1st Half | Spring Hill scored the lone goal of the half at the 5:54 mark as Alexander Lipinski scored the first of two on the afternoon. That would be the only goal of the opening half. Tampa outshot Spring Hill 5-3 on the half.
2nd Half | Nine minutes into the second half, the Badgers scored a pair of goals within two minutes of each other to hold a comfortable 3-0 lead. The momentum continued as Spring Hill netted three more goals in the next 19 minutes to hold a 6-0 advantage with under 15-minutes remaining. Tampa avoided the shutout when junior Monty Berrow successfully recorded a penalty kick goal with just under five minutes to play in regulation. Spring Hill would hold a 15-6 advantage in shots in the second half.
QUOTING THE COACH
"We couldn't stop a marching band today. We have a lot of work ahead and give credit to Spring Hill, who outworked us all afternoon and played like it was a south region match." - Head Coach Adrian Bush
INSIDE THE STATS:
• Spring Hill outshot Tampa 18-11 on the afternoon and 12-9 in shots on goal.
• The goal by Berrow was his first since October 24, 2015, as he received a medical redshirt in 2016.
• Berrow led all Spartans with four shots as Mike Schessl tallied three. Each of the shots by the duo were on goal
• The Spartans took six corner kicks while limiting their opponent to just five.
• Richard Trench started in goal for the second straight match and came away with a season-high five shots.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
• The six goals allowed was the most for the Spartans since the 1999 season when Lindsey Wilson defeated UT by a score of 8-0.
• Trench earned the start for the second consecutive contest.
• Ranked No. 8 in the preseason poll, this marks the highest to start the season for Tampa since being tabbed at No. 5 in 2010.
Tampa returns home to host Florida National University on Sunday at 11 a.m. Live stats and video will be available through TampaSpartans.com.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.TampaSpartans.com.