Oct 17, 2017
TAMPA, Fla. - The University of Tampa men's soccer team netted a pair of late first-half goals to pick up a Sunshine State Conference victory over visiting Nova Southeastern University.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa 3, Nova Southeastern 0
Records: Tampa (5-3-2, 4-2-2 SSC), Nova Southeastern (4-7, 2-5 SSC)
Location: Pepin Stadium | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series by a mark of 18-5-4. The Spartans have won six straight over the Sharks, outscoring NSU 9-0 in the previous five victories. Tampa also holds a 14-game unbeaten streak as Nova has not won over UT since October 6, 2007.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
1st Half | Scoreless for the first 41 minutes, the Spartans broke the deadlock when Felipe DeSousa scored a goal from Monty Berrow. Just over a minute later, Berrow found the net in a 42nd minute score from teammate Markus Woldsund. The Spartans held Nova Southeastern to just one shot as the Spartans racked up seven in the initial half.
2nd Half | Neither team scored in the second half until Lewis Sugden found an empty Nova net with just 17-seconds to play. The third Spartan goal of the evening was unassisted. UT would outshoot the Sharks 5-2 in the final half of play.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Tampa held a 12-3 advantage in shots.
- Seven of Tampa's shots were on goal, while Nova had zero on target.
- DeSousa's goal went down as his second game-winner this season, with the first coming against No. 17 Rollins on October 4.
- For the second straight game, Berrow played a part in a goal as he has now registered an assist in two straight. This also marked the first two-point effort of the season for the senior.
- Sugden now has two goals and two assists in his previous three matches.
- Goalkeeper Jake Richards recorded his third shutout of the season for the Spartans.
- Tampa took six corner kicks, while Nova recorded three.
- UT held a slight 9-8 edge over the Sharks in fouls.
- The Spartans are now a perfect 4-0 at home this season, outscoring their opponents 8-0 in the last three at Pepin Stadium.
Tampa will host Florida Tech on Saturday at 7 p.m. The match will be part of Homecoming festivities and will also be senior day for the eight Spartan seniors.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.TampaSpartans.com.