Oct 28, 2017
ROME, Ga. - The University of Tampa men's soccer team won its fourth straight match with a 5-goal performance against NCAA South Region opponent Shorter University.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa 5, Shorter 1
Records: Tampa Spartans (8-3-2), Shorter Hawks (3-13)
Location: Shorter Field | Rome, Ga.
All-time Series: Saturday's contest marked the first-ever meeting between the two schools.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
1st Half | Felipe DeSousa struck for three Tampa goals in the first 16 minutes, scoring in the 1st, 9th and 16th minutes. After an unassisted score, DeSousa was fed by Lewis Sugden on the second goal and Monty Berrow on the third. Shorter added a goal of their own in the fourth minute, which went down as the lone Hawks goal of the day. Tampa recorded 10 shots to just two for the Hawks in the first half.
2nd Half | The Spartans added two goals in the second half, beginning with a score from Berrow in the 51st minute from teammate John Bentham. Senior Diego Ornelas netted his first goal of the season in the 73rd minute, coming from Michael Cobuzio. UT outshot the Hawks 8-5 in the final half.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Tampa held an 18-7 advantage in shots.
- The Spartans tallied nine shots on goal, with the Hawks being credited with five.
- UT's leading scorer, DeSousa, notched the first UT hat trick of the season.
- In 10 games with the Spartans this season, DeSousa now has scored two-or-goals twice in his last three games.
- Richard Trench started in goal for the Spartans and earned the win. The senior finished with four saves in his first action since September 4 at Spring Hill.
- Berrow has now scored a goal in two straight games and three of the last four contests.
- Tampa took five corners compared to one for Shorter.
- Fouls were 14-5 in favor of Tampa.
Tampa secured the No. 2 seed for the 2017 Sunshine State Conference tournament. Regular season champion Palm Beach Atlantic will host the tourney, with the semifinals slated for Friday followed by the championship on Sunday in West Palm Beach.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.TampaSpartans.com.