Tampa, Fla. — The University of Tampa beach volleyball team defeated the Morehead State Eagles 5-0 in the team's inaugural home dual.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: University of Tampa Spartans 5, Morehead State Eagle 0
Records: Tampa (2-1), Morehead State Eagle (0-1)
Location: University of Tampa Beach Volleyball Complex| Tampa, Fla
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- To start the day, the second and fourth teams took the courts.
- In the competition between the twos, Leigh Buttner and Gabbi Pacatte defeated the Eagles by scores of 21-14, and 21-17.
- The fourth team, consisting of partners Taylor George and Sarah Moore also won in two by scores of 21-14, and 21-12.
- After the first two games were complete, the ones, threes, and fives started play.
- Melissa Elias and Sorrel Houghton, who were representing the ones, defeated Morehead State by the scores of 21-12 and 21-7, thus clinching Tampa's victory in the match, winning three of the five games.
- Shortly after, in the competition between the threes, Katie McKiel and Nicole Dominguez, won 21-11 and 21-15.
- With Tampa already out to a 4-0 lead, to wrap up the day, Claire Blumenthal and Alexandra Misca, representing the fifth team, defeated the Eagles 21-10 and 21-14.
- The Tampa Spartans swept the Morehead State Eagles 5-0 in their first home-opener in UT's history.
- The Spartans did not drop a set the entire day.
The next games for the Spartans will be in St. Petersburg at a tournament that Eckerd College will be hosting. Tampa will be playing against Florida Southern, Webber International, Eckerd and Morehead State.