Tampa, Fla. - The University of Tampa won its fifth straight game with a victory over LIU Post in the first of a three-game series.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 2 Tampa Spartans 9, LIU Post Pioneers 1
Records: Tampa (6-2), LIU Post (0-1)
Location: UT Baseball Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa wins in the first ever matchup and now lead the all-time series 1-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- After going down in order in the top of the first and falling behind 1-0, UT put up three runs in the second inning making it 3-1.
- The scoring started on a Danny Maynard RBI double that scored Danny Sirven. Two more runs would score after a Mikey Navarette ground ball and an error by the Pioneer defense with bases loaded.
- The Spartans would not score again until the seventh, where Navarette would plate Yorvis Torrealba on a sac fly to left field.
- In the eight, Tampa would put together five runs on five hits closing the game with a 9-1 win.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Starting pitcher Keven Pimentel would receive his second win after 6.0 innings with 6 strikeouts.
- James Reynolds and Deaven Phillips would come in to close out the last three innings with no runs earned.
- Torrealba finished 3-4 with three runs scored.
- Sirven put together a 2-3 day with 2 RBI.
- Navarette registered a team-high 3 RBI on the day.
OUTSIDE THE BOX:
- UT is now on a five-game win streak.
- UT has now won six straight home openers.
- Head coach Joe Urso now stands at 792 career wins as the all-time winningest coach in UT history is approaching another milestone.
The Spartans return home for their home opener in a three-game series with LIU-Post. The first game is Friday at 6 p.m., with the other games on Saturday at 2 p.m., and Sunday at 1 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.