TAMPA, Fla. – The No. 6 University of Tampa Spartans defeats the Tusculum College Pioneers by a final score of 19-7.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa Spartans 19, Tusculum College 7
Records: Tampa (1-0), Tusculum (0-1)
Location: Naimoli Field l Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series 4-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Ross Dickerson won the faceoff for Tampa, giving the Spartans possession.
- The first goal of the game, came from Max Lambert, assisted by Matt Vetter.
- The Spartans then had two more consecutive goals by Max Lambert and Ross Dickerson respectively, making the score 3-0.
- Then with 5:39 left in the first period, Tusculum responded with a goal, putting them on the board.
- The rest of the period was quiet until Sophomore Bryan Wright scored a goal for Tampa with 15 seconds left in the quarter.
- The Spartans led 4-1.
- The Pioneers opened the period with a goal at 12:57.
- Hunter Van Horn recorded his first goal of the game two minutes later giving Tampa the 5-2 advantage.
- Once again, UT scored two more consecutive goals, this time by Max Lambert (his third) and by Matt Vetter.
- Tusculum netted their second goal of the period with 7:31 left in the quarter.
- Jud Huxtable logged his first goal of the year, followed by a goal from Bryan Wright (his second), assisted by Max Lambert.
- Wright demanded attention with another goal before the half.
- The Spartans led the Pioneers 10-3.
- Coming out of the half, Tusculum earned the first goal of the period, now trailing 10-4.
- Jake Mosher McGraw was the first Spartan to score in the second half at 12:18.
- Wright logged his fourth goal of the game with 9:48 left in the period, the assist from Vetter.
- The Wright, Vetter duo then recorded another goal, this time with Vetter taking the shot (Man-up) and Wright dealing the assist.
- The Pioneers finally scored again with 23 seconds left in the period, now trailing 13-6.
- Then with 8 seconds left in the quarter, Andrew Kew logged his first goal of his junior campaign, assisted from Blaine Birch.
- Tampa led heading into the fourth 14-6.
- Shane Hanlon was the first Spartan on the board, propelling UT to a 15-6 advantage.
- With 7:08 left in the game, Kew recorded his second goal of the day, this time from James Pugliese.
- After 30 seconds had elapsed, the Spartans scored again, this time by Connor Scanlin.
- The Spartans rounded out the day with two more consecutive goals from Sean Halpin (assisted by Spencer Eysaman), and Jack Baldwin (assisted by Sean Halpin).
- The Pioneers scored the final goal of the game with 48 seconds left.
- The University of Tampa defeated Tusculum College 19-7.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Wright led all Spartans in goals with four.
- Lambert was second in goals with three, followed by Kew and Vetter who each had two.
- Vetter led the team in assists with two.
- B.J. Borowski recorded six saves on twelve shots the Spartans.
- Ross Dickerson led Tampa in faceoff wins, recording 14-16.
Tampa will continue their 2018 season, traveling to North Carolina where they will face Queens on Saturday, February 10. The game is scheduled to start at 1:00 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.