TAMPA, Fla. – The No. 7 University of Tampa Spartans defeated the No. 16 Lindenwood University Lions by a final score of 12-6.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa Spartans 12, Lindenwood Lions 6
Records: Tampa (8-1), Lindenwood (3-3)
Location: Naimoli Family Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: The Tampa Spartans tied the all-time series with the Lindenwood Lions today, 1-1.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Spartans were the first team on the board, with a goal from Shane Hanlon with 9:51 left in the period.
- With 4:09 remaining, the Lions answered with a goal of their own.
- The first period ended with a score of 1-1.
- Three minutes into the second period Max Lambert gave the Spartans the lead off the assist from Matt Vetter.
- Kansai Garey then put one in the back of the net to give the Spartans a 3-1 lead, he was assisted by Donavon Dempsey.
- Jake Mosher McGraw scored his first goal of the game off the assist from Andrew Kew with 7:10 left in the half.
- The Lions then scored back-to-back goals to make the score 4-3. The Spartans still held the lead with 1:56 remaining in the half.
- With four seconds left, Lindenwood netted a goal to tie the game.
- Going into halftime, the Spartans and Lions were tied 4-4.
- The Lions took the lead with the first goal of the third period. 11:47 on the clock.
- Unassisted, Vetter answered with his first goal of the game to tie it at 5.
- James Pugliese then gave the Spartans the lead, netting a goal with 3:56 left in the period.
- Less than a minute later, Pugliese assisted Dempsey to extend Tampa's lead 7-5.
- With seven seconds left in the period, Pugliese scored his second goal of the game, shooting behind his back, pictured above.
- At the end of the third period, the Spartans led the Lions 8-5.
- To start the fourth period, Garey scored his second goal of the game off the assist from Dempsey.
- With 7:35 left in the game, Mosher McGraw netted his second goal of the game.
- Lindenwood then put one in the back of the net for the Lions, making the score 10-6, Tampa still holding the lead.
- About 30 seconds later, Pugliese scores his third goal of the game. He was assisted by Dempsey.
- The final goal of the day came from Connor Scanlin with 7 seconds left on the clock.
- The No. 7 Spartans defeat the No. 16 Lions by a final score of 12-6.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- James Pugliese led the Spartans on offense with three goals, followed by Garey and Mosher McGraw each with two.
- Donavon Dempsey led the team in assists with three.
- On defense, Luke Posner recorded three caused turnovers and four ground balls.
- Ross Dickerson led the Spartans in ground balls with 11.
- B.J. Borowski recorded 7 saves and Bryan Karn recorded 5 saves.
The Spartans will play away on Wednesday, March 21st against the Florida Tech Panthers at 4:00 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.