TAMPA, Fla. – The No. 9 University of Tampa Spartans suffered their second loss of the season against the No. 2 Adelphi University Panthers, 19-11.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 9 Tampa Spartans 11, No. 2 Adelphi University 19
Records: Tampa (2-2), Adelphi (3-0)
Location: Naimoli Family Athletic and Intramural Complex | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: The Spartans and Panthers are now tied in the all-time series 1-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Ten seconds into the game the No. 2 Adelphi Panthers were the first team on the board.
- The first Tampa goal was scored by Dom Mazza with 12:57 left in the period.
- The Panthers then went on to score six unanswered goals before Mazza netted another goal with one minute remaining.
- With :39 left in the first, Adelphi cushioned their lead to 8-2.
- The final goal of the period was scored by senior Andrew Kew, the assist by Ross Dickerson.
- At the end of the first period, the Panthers led the Spartans 8-3.
- To start the second period, AU was on the board first.
- With 13:07 remaining in the half, Kew scored his second goal of the game, this time the assist came from freshman Harry Kilkowski.
- Four minutes past before Kew netted another goal for the Spartans, the assist by Jake Mosher McGraw.
- Adelphi scored to make the score 10-5 with 8:35 left in the half.
- Colin White then buried one in the cage off the pass from Kew with 3:50 left to play.
- Adelphi and Tampa then traded goals. Tampa's was scored again by Andrew Kew.
- At the end of the first half, the No. 2 Panthers led the No. 9 Spartans 11-7.
- Adelphi scored three unanswered goals before Tampa's Luke Curran ended their scoring drought.
- Heading into the fourth period the Panthers continued to lead the Spartans, the score, 14-8.
- In the fourth period, UT was the first team to score. The goal came from Colin White of the pass by Mazza.
- Adelphi then scored five unanswered goals.
- With 2:00 left in the contest Ronnie Shul scored for the Spartans off the assist by White.
- White himself then netted the last goal of the game off the pass by Chris Cox.
- The No. 2 Adelphi University Panthers defeated the No. 9 University of Tampa Spartans by a final score of 19-11.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- The Spartans were led offensively by Andrew Kew. Kew had four goals and one assist in the contest.
- Following Kew's efforts was that of Colin White and Dom Mazza. White ended the game with three goals and one assist, Mazza had two goals and one assist.
- Ross Dickerson won 17-30 face-offs he took, while Devon Hess was 3-3.
- Three different Spartans played goalkeeper including B.J. Borowski, Bryan Karn, and Anthony Caruso. Borowski recorded one save while Karn logged six.
UP NEXT: The Spartans will host the Assumption Greyhounds on Sunday for a 1:00 p.m. start.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP: A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS: UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.