TAMPA, Fla. – The University of Tampa Spartans defeated the Colorado Mesa University Mavericks by a final score of 19-6. The University of Tampa is now 5-4 on the 2019 season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: UT Spartans 19, CMU Mavericks 6
Records: Tampa (5-4), Colorado Mesa (3-4)
Location: Naimoli Family Athletic and Intramural Complex | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: The Spartans and the Mavericks are now tied in the all-time series, 4-4.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the first seven seconds of the game, Harry Kilkowskiscored a goal off the assist by Ross Dickerson who won the faceoff.
- The Colorado Mesa Mavericks scored the next two goals of the game, before Andrew Kewnetted two goals back-to-back.
- The first of Kew's goals came from Shane Hanlon, the second was unassisted.
- The last two goals of the period were scored by Gavin Perry and Jake MosherMcGraw. Chris Cox assisted Mosher McGraw.
- At the end of the first period, the Spartans led the Mavericks 5-2.
- With 13:00 left in the half, Bryan Wright scored the first goal of the second half for UT.
- Two minutes later, Kew netted his third goal of the game giving Tampa the 7-2 lead.
- CMU responded with two goals before UT scored the last five points of the half.
- Kansai Garey had the first goal for Tampa, followed by one by Colin White from Kew, White again from Cox, Wright, and Kew from Mosher McGraw.
- Heading into halftime, the Spartans were defeating the Mavericks 12-4.
- To start the second half, Colorado Mesa netted a goal.
- Tampa then scored four goals to end the third.
- The first of the four was scored by Garey, off the assist by Kilkowski.
- White then netted one off the pass by Matt Vetter.
- The last two were scored by Kew and Gareyrespectively.
- At the end of the third period, the Spartans led the Mavericks 16-5.
- CMU scored its sixth and final goal of the game with 10:27 left in the contest.
- Andrew Kew then netted his sixth and final goal of the contest off the assist by White.
- Mosher McGraw the netted one off the assist by Vetter with 7:50 remaining.
- The final goal of the contest was unassisted by Luke Curran.
- The University of Tampa Spartans defeated the Colorado Mesa Mavericks by a final score of 19-6.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Andrew Kewonce again, had an outstanding performance for the Spartans earning a whopping six goals and one assist.
- Following Kew's offensive efforts was that of Colin White and Kansai Garey each with three.
- Chris Cox had a team-high of three assists in the contest.
- Ross Dickerson earned his third assist of the 2019 season, in addition to leading all Spartans in faceoff wins and groundballs, 19-22 and 9 respectively.
- Hunter Van Horn led the Spartans defensively. The senior out of Cary, N.C. stated two caused turnovers and four ground balls.
- B.J. Borowski and Anthony Carusologged time at keeper. The two recorded 8 and 3 saves respectively.
UP NEXT: The Spartans will return to Naimoli Family Field on Saturday, to take on the Embry-Riddle Eagles for their first Sunshine State Conference game of the year. The game is scheduled to begin at 1:00 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP: A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS: UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.