TAMPA, Fla. – The University of Tampa women's lacrosse team falls to the No. 7 Queens University of Charlotte by a final score of 14-8.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: University of Tampa 8, Queens University of Charlotte 14
Records: Tampa (1-2, SSC 1-0), Queens (1-1, SAC 0-0)
Location: Queens Sports Complex | Charlotte, N.C.
All-time Series: The Royals lead the all-time series, 5-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Five minutes into the game, sophomore Maggie Gladden put UT on the board first with a man-up goal for the Spartans.
- However, less than a minute later the Royals answered with a goal of their own.
- Queens then scored two more times, both on free position shots. They took held the lead 3-1 with 18:52 left in the half.
- Freshman Graeme Eber then scored her first goal of the season, the assist from Rachel Crawford. However, Tampa still trailed by one with 15:18 remaining.
- The Royals then went on to score five unanswered goals before halftime, dominating the Spartans 8-2.
- Coming out of the half, the Queens University of Charlotte Royals picked up right where they left off, with another goal propelling their lead to a seven point advantage at 9-2.
- Five minutes into the half, Queens scored again. They then netted their 11th goal with 20:55 left in the game.
- At the 17 minute mark, Queens continued to run away with the game, now leading the Spartans by 10.
- Then with 11:45 the Royals refused to step off the gas, scoring again and causing the Spartans to take a needed timeout. The Royals now led 13-2.
- Finally, with 10:35 left in the contest, senior Shannon Sweeney ended the Spartans silence, adding to the scoreboard off a free position shot.
- A minute later, Allie Popelar earned a goal of her own on the free position.
- It seemed UT was finally able to build some momentum when Rachel Crawford got a goal, her third of the season. The Spartans now trailed 13-5.
- Kayla Kosubinsky then netted Tampa's fourth unanswered goal with 6:10 remaining. This goal was also on a free position shot.
- Popelar then made the score 13-7 with an assist coming from Sweeney.
- Then Amanada Rom wanted a piece of the action, the assist from Crawford. Tampa now trailed the Royals 13-8.
- Queens then scored the final goal of the game with 1:18 left in the half.
- The University of Charlotte Royals defeated the University of Tampa Spartans by a final score of 14-8.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Popelar led the Spartans with two goals on the day.
- Crawford led the team in points, with one goal and two assists.
- Rom led UT in draw control wins with 8.
- Abby Coccagna led Tampa's defensive efforts with three ground balls, and one caused turnover.
- Goal keeper, Bridget Sutter, had 10 saves.
BEYOND THE BOX:
- Eber scored the first goal of her college career.
Tampa will continue its road weekend in Belmont, North Carolina on Saturday, the 24th, where the Spartans will take on the Crusaders of Belmont Abbey. This game is scheduled for 12:00 p.m. Live stats will be available through TampaSpartans.com.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.