TAMPA, Fla. – The University of Tampa women's lacrosse defeats the Tusculum Pioneers by a final score of 18-6.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: University of Tampa 18, Tusculum College 6
Records: Tampa (3-2, SSC 1-0), Tusculum (2-5)
Location: Naimoli Family Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: The Spartans lead the all-time series over the Pioneers 3-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Three minutes into the game, Allie Popelar put Tampa on the board first with a goal, the assist by Amanda Rom.
- However, Tusculum was quick to respond three minutes later, tying the game at 1.
- A minute later, Caroline Forester scored back-to-back goals for UT. The second goal coming from Rachel Crawford.
- With 22:08 left in the first half, Carly Vaccaro got a goal of her own, the assist by Natalie Carraway.
- Tusculum then answered with a goal of their own, still down by two with a score of 4-2.
- Freshman Graeme Eber then scored her first goal of the day off a free position shot.
- With 15:37 left in the half, Caroline Forester then netted her third goal of the game, this time from Rom.
- The Spartans led the Pioneers 6-2 in the first fifteen minutes of the contest.
- Shannon Sweeney then earned her first goal of the day, the assist by fellow senior Natalie Carraway.
- Tampa then scored four more unanswered goals, distinguishing their lead 11-2.
- The first of these four goals came from Mallary Weinsz with the assist from Maggie Gladden. The second goal by Rachel Crawford. The third by Graeme Eber (her second of the day), the assist from Rom. Finally, Rom herself got a man-up goal off a free position shot.
- Tusculum was finally able to stop Tampa's fury with a goal making the score 11-3.
- The last goal of the half was scored by sophomore Claire Swanson giving the Spartans a 12-3 lead heading into halftime.
- Coming out of the half, Gladden was the first to score with another assist from Rom.
- With the score being 13-3, the referees signaled for a running clock.
- Tusculum called a timeout and then scored a goal with 22:53 left in the half to stop the running clock.
- The Pioneers then scored again making the score Tampa 13, Tusculum 5.
- With 17:36 left in the contest, Rom then scored her first goal of the day off a free position shot.
- Tusculum answered with 11:20 remaining in the game. Tampa still ahead 14-6.
- Eber then netted another goal for UT, this time from Carraway.
- Sophomore Swanson then got her second goal of the game, making the score 16-6 causing the running clock to continue to countdown.
- Then with 6:06 left to play, freshman Kayla Kosubinsky got her first goal of the day off a free position shot.
- The Spartans held the lead 17-6.
- Popelar then scored the last goal of the game with 2:56 left to play, the assist from Eber.
- The University of Tampa Spartans defeated the Tusculum College Pioneers 18-6.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Forester and Eber led the Spartans with three goals each. Followed by Rom, Popelar, and Swanson each with two.
- Additionally, Rom led the team in assists with four.
- Swanson led the Spartans in draw control wins with eight.
- Abby Coccagna headed the Spartans defense, leading the Spartans with four groundballs in addition to having one turnover.
- Bridget Sutter had 6 saves.
Tampa returns to action at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday, March 7th for a home showdown against the Seton Hill Griffins. Then on Saturday, March 10th the Spartans will host the North Greenville University Crusaders at noon. Live stats will be available through TampaSpartans.com.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.