WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. – The No. 16 University of Tampa women's lacrosse team defeated the Palm Beach Atlantic Sailfish by a final score of 17-4.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 16 Tampa Spartans 17, Palm Beach Atlantic Sailfish 4
Records: Tampa (10-5, 2-2 SSC), Palm Beach Atlantic (1-13, 0-5 SSC)
Location: PBA Lacrosse Field | West Palm Beach, Fla.
All-time Series: The Spartans are now 1-0 in the all-time series with the Sailfish.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Spartans were the first team on the board with a goal from senior Natalie Carraway, the assist from Rachel Crawford.
- Thirty seconds later, sophomore Claire Swanson netted her first goal of the day, the assist from Carraway.
- With 25:38 remaining in the half, Crawford had an unassisted goal to give Tampa the 3-0 lead.
- Less than a minute later, sophomore Maggie Gladden wanted a piece of the action, earning her first goal of the day.
- Then with 22:44 on the clock, Megan Sengelmann, and Graeme Eber connected on a goal. Eber's 12th goal of the season.
- Twenty-two seconds later, Tampa continued to dominate the field with a goal from Carly Vaccaro, assisted by Crawford.
- Eber then gave UT the 7-0 lead off a free position goal with 20:37 remaining in the half.
- Less than a minute later Crawford netted her second goal of the game, 15th of the season.
- Crawford continued to head the Spartan's offense, with an assist to Caroline Forester, giving the Spartans the 9-0 lead.
- Finally, to set the running clock in motion, Sengelmann earned a goal for UT off the assist from Carraway.
- With 10:04 remaining in the half, Forester scored again for the Spartans, assisted once again by Crawford.
- Senior Shannon Sweeney then logged a goal off the assist from Forester, the Spartans lead 12-0 with 3:15 left in the half.
- The final goal of the half was scored by PBA with :11 on the clock.
- Heading into halftime, UT lead PBA 12-1.
- Coming out of the half, Gladden scored the first goal for Tampa off the assist from Carraway. Due to Tampa's 13-1 lead the clock continued to run.
- With 18:52 remaining in the second half, Crawford netted her third goal of the game. This goal marked 7 points in the contest, thus giving the junior out of Arnold, Maryland her 100th career point as a Spartan.
- Forester then recorded a goal giving Tampa the 15-1 lead with 14:58 on the clock.
- With 11:16 left in the contest, PBA scored their second goal of the game.
- About two minutes later, the Sailfish scored again, now trailing by 12.
- With 6:45 on the clock the PBA netted their third unanswered goal, now trailing by 11.
- Finally, Vaccaro answered with a goal for the Spartans, her second of the evening. The assist came from Allie Popelar with 3:21 left in the game.
- The final goal of the game was scored by sophomore Swanson, her second of the evening.
- The Spartans defeated the Sailfish by a final score of 17-4.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Crawford and Forester led the Spartans in goals with three each. However, Crawford led the team in points with 7 because she also had three assists.
- Swanson, Gladden, Eber, and Vaccaro each had two goals for UT, while Carraway and Sengelmann each logged one.
- Forester led Tampa in caused turnovers and ground balls with two and six respectively.
- Swanson stated seven draw control wins for the Spartans
- In the cage, Tampa used Bridget Sutter, Taylor Sisk and Mackenzie Hackett. Sutter logged three saves and Hackett earned one.
BEYOND THE BOX:
- Rachel Crawford earned her 100th career point as a Spartan.
- This marked the first time in history that the Spartans defeated the Sailfish in women's lacrosse. UT now leads the all-time series over PBA 1-0.
Tampa will travel to St. Leo, Florida where they will face the Lions on Wednesday, April 18th at 7:30 p.m. The Spartans will then return home on Saturday, April 21st for their final regular season home game of the 2018 season.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.