TAMPA, Fla. –The No. 5 University of Tampa women's lacrosse team dominated the Palm Beach Atlantic Sailfish, sending Tampa's seniors out with a 23-5 win.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 5 Tampa Spartans 23, Palm Beach Atlantic Sailfish 5
Records: Tampa (10-3, SSC 3-1), PBA (5-9, SSC 0-5)
Location: Naimoli Family Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: The Spartans have never lost against the Sailfish. UT leads the all-time series over PBA 2-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The No. 5 Tampa Spartans scored the first six goals of the contest.
- Tampa's first two goals were both unassisted by Kristyn Staley and Claire Swanson respectively.
- Freshman Lizzie Pierpont then scored for UT off the assist by SENIOR Rachel Crawford.
- Staley then earned her second goal of the contest with 21:29 remaining in the half.
- Carly Vaccaro then scored a goal for Tampa off the pass by Maggie Gladden.
- With 19:13 left in the half, SENIOR Caroline Forester earned Tampa the 6-0 lead.
- Finally, PBA scored their first goal of the contest.
- Shortly after, Vaccaro scored her second goal of the contest off the pass by SENIOR Crawford.
- The Sailfish scored again to narrow Tampa lead to 8-3 with 11:10 remaining in the first half.
- SENIOR Crawford then scored for Tampa taking the six-point lead.
- SENIOR Caroline Forester then followed with a goal that was assisted by Vaccaro.
- The SENIOR Crawford then scored again, this time from Swanson.
- Swanson herself then gave UT the 12-3 lead with 6:29 remaining.
- Less than a minute later SENIOR Forester netted the Spartan's 13thgoal initiating the running clock.
- The last two goals of the first half were scored by Vaccaro and Gladden. Vaccaro also stated the assist on Gladden's goal.
- Heading into halftime, the Spartans led the Sailfish 15-3.
- In the first nine seconds of the second half, SENIOR Megan Sengelmann scored Tampa's 16thgoal off the pass from Swanson.
- SENIOR Caroline Forester then netted her fourth and final goal of the contest off the assist by Staley.
- Claire Swanson the scored back-to-back goals for UT.
- With 20:34 remaining, Kayla Kosubinsky netted one off the free position attempt.
- SENIOR Sengelmann then scored her second goal of the game off the pass from Kosubinsky with 13:55 remaining in the contest.
- Kristyn Staley then netted her third and final goal of the contest giving Tampa the 22-3 lead.
- With 8:42 remaining, Swanson scored her fifth and final goal of the contest.
- Palm Beach Atlantic scored the two final goals of the contest.
- The No. 5 University of Tampa Spartans defeated the Palm Beach Atlantic Sailfish by a final score of 23-5.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Claire Swanson led all Spartans offensively with five goals and two assists.
- SENIOR Caroline Forester had four goals in the contest in addition to earning her 100thcareer goal at the University of Tampa.
- Carly Vaccaro and Kristyn Staley each earned three goals in the contest. Vaccaro also recorded three assists while Staley stated one.
- All nine SENIORS competed in the contest for Tampa including, Caroline Forester, Rachel Crawford, Abby Coccagna, Sarah Bell, Allie Popelar, Paige Johnson, Megan Sengelmann, Garlyn Henderson, and Rachel Lacy.
- Defensively, SENIOR Sarah Bell played lights out for the Spartans, earning two caused turnovers and four ground balls.
- Bridget Sutter and Taylor Sisk played goalie for the Spartans. The two recorded three and four saves respectively.
UP NEXT: The Spartans will host the Saint Leo Lions on Wednesday, April 17th. The game is slated to begin at 7:30 p.m. at Naimoli Family Field.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP: A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.