ORLANDO, Fla. - The University of Tampa women's swimming team was second as its men were third at the 2017 Sunshine State Conference Championships.
Nova Southeastern withstood a late charge from Florida Southern on the men's side to claim the 2017 Sunshine State Conference Championship while the Sharks women also took care of business to win the SSC title.
FULL RESULTS / RECORDS / CHAMPIONSHIP INFO
- Brittany Bayes was fourth in the 1,650 Free, being timed at 17:26.12.
- On the men's side, Nick Tinucci was also fourth in the 1,650 Free at 15:55.20.
- Marisa Barton turned in a third-place effort in the 100 Free with a time of 51.05.
- Tampa's Allison Chandler was fourth in the 200 Back with a time of 2:03.27.
- Ethan Harrington's time of 1:47.40 in the 200 Back was good for third place.
- McKenzie Street set her second school record during the SSC Championships with a 2:16.32 in the 200 Breast to finish second.
- UT's 400 Free Relay women's team of Barton, Sophie Long, Courtney Markle and Megan Waddell were third with a time of 3:27.22.
- Tampa's men finished the championships with a fourth-place finish in the 400 Free Relay from Marc-Olivier Caron, Martin Hammer, Bryan Mattingly and Aaron James. They were clocked at 2:59.36.
SSC Championship History
This is the third SSC crown for each squad. The Sharks men last won the title in 2012 while the women earned top honors last in 2015.
Florida Southern placed second on the men's side followed by Tampa, Florida Tech, Saint Leo and Rollins. Tampa finished second in the women's competition with Florida Southern, Saint Leo, Lynn, Florida Tech and Rollins rounding out the field.
Day 4 Finals:
One meet record was broken, coming late in the women's 400 freestyle relay, with three top-times of the season and one NCAA 'A' cut time established as well.
Lupoli locked down SSC Swimmer of the Meet recognition following his first place finish in the 1650 frestyle. It marked his fourth individual gold medal of the championship.
DeVeney needed to outlast teammate Emma Wahlstrom for the top individual honors. The teammates were neck-and-neck heading into their final event, the 200 backstroke, and DeVeney tapped the wall in 1:57.94 ahead of Wahlstrom's 1:59.15 to become the Sharks' first female SSC Swimmer of the Meet since 2013.
Nova Southeastern's women's 400 freestyle relay team broke its own record with a time of 3:24.43. The Sharks set five relay records and seven of the nine meet records broken overall.
Other highlights included Marco Palacios' NCAA 'A' cut time of 1:44.78 in the 200 back. Palacios' time was one-one hundredth of a second off the SSC Meet record but did hold up as the top time in the league this season. Additionally, NSU's Madison Yelle logged the top 1650 time (16:56.06) and Malin Westman collected the top 200 breast time (2:14.24).
Women's 1650 freestyle medalists:
1.Yelle, Madison JR Nova Southeastern 16:56.06
2.Berraud-Galea, Catalina SO Lynn 17:02.48
3.McCloskey, Madeline SO Nova Southeastern 17:14.13
Men's 1650 freestyle medalists:
1.Lupoli, Franco, JR Nova Southeastern 15:31.72
2.Woodrow, Blake JR Nova Southeastern 15:38.94
3.Planinc, Luka SO Florida Southern 15:43.94
Women's 100 freestyle medalists:
1.Garriock, Natalia JR Saint Leo 50.58
2.Panzarino, Sydney JR Nova Southeastern 51.04
3. Marisa Barton SR Tampa 51.05
Men's 100 freestyle medalists:
1.Rocha Furtado, Victor SO Florida Tech 43.89
2.Sickert, Thiago SR Nova Southeastern 44.14
3.Franz, Noah JR Florida Southern 44.72
Women's 200 backstroke medalists:
1.DeVeny, Courtney JR Nova Southeastern 1:57.94
2.Wahlstrom, Emma SR Nova Southeastern 1:59.15
3.Breault, Peyton JR Florida Southern 2:01.34
Men's 200 backstroke medalists:
1.Palacios, Marco SR Florida Southern 1:44.78
2.Aldabe, Marco SR Nova Southeastern 1:46.01
3. Ethan Harrington FR Tampa 1:47.40
Women's 200 breaststroke medalists:
1.Westman, Malin JR Nova Southeastern 2:14.24
2. McKenzie Street SO Tampa 2:16.32
3.Degrace, Haley SO Florida Southern 2:18.03
Men's 200 breaststroke medalists:
1.Lobanov, Anton JR Nova Southeastern 1:54.24
2.Jasso, Luis JR Florida Southern 1:55.52
3.Rutherford, Thomas JR Nova Southeastern 2:00.93
Women's 400 freestyle relay:
1.Nova Southeastern 3:24.43
2.Saint Leo 3:26.68
Men's 400 freestyle relay:
1.Florida Tech 2:56.59
2.Nova Southeastern 2:57.16
3.Florida Southern 2:57.69
Day 4 Team Scores
Nova Southeastern - 895
Florida Southern - 841
Tampa - 659.5
Florida Tech - 603
Saint Leo - 272.5
Rollins - 174
Nova Southeastern - 950.5
Florida Southern - 545
Saint Leo - 467
Lynn - 325.5
Florida Tech - 274
Rollins - 251