TAMPA, Fla. – The University of Tampa tennis team began the 2018 season as the host of the UT Invitational, which included four teams playing round-robin singles and doubles matches. Tampa would finish with 11 singles victories and five in doubles action.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Teams: Tampa, No. 17 Florida Southern, Florida Tech, St. Petersburg College
Location: Naimoli & Young Family Tennis Complex | Tampa, Fla.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
- Caroline Lozo registered victories over Maria Escude Paricio (FIT) and Barbara Damiani (SPC).
- In her first competition as a Spartan, sophomore Vanina Iordanova notched a win over Paloma Vela (FIT).
- Junior Maddie Stephens was victorious against Wirtlitch (SPC).
- Lilley Nice was a perfect 3-0 in singles action with wins over Kayla Hergott (FIT), Delarosa (SPC) and Avery Hunter (FSC).
- Freshman Corbin Dorsey made her Spartan debut with wins over Monica Diaz (SPC) and Gabby Hesse (FSC).
- Danielle Beyes prevailed against Marla Mesa Montoya (SPC).
- Amanda Baxter opened her collegiate career with a victory over Gina Dragoljic (FIT).
- Beyes and Lozo defeated their opponents from Florida Tech.
- Stephens and Nice topped the duo from St. Pete College.
- Iordanova and Dorsey also prevailed over SPC.
- Iordanova and Beyes teamed up to defeat Florida Southern.
- Senior Emily Hewland and Baxter also defeated FSC.
UP NEXT: The Spartans welcome State College of Florida for a meeting on Friday at 3 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.