TAMPA, Fla. – The No. 39 University of Tampa tennis team fell by a 4-3 score in its 2019 regular-season opener against No. 9 University of Central Oklahoma.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 9 Central Oklahoma Bronchos 4, No. 39 Tampa Spartans 3
Records: Tampa (0-1), Central Oklahoma (1-0)
Location: Naimoli and Young Family Tennis Complex | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: UCO took the first-ever meeting between the NCAA Division II opponents.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube.
- UCO earned the point for doubles, taking the one and three matches.
- The Spartans took number-two doubles as Corbin Dorsey and Maddie Stephens took the 6-3 win.'
- The teams split singles, with UT winning at two, five and six.
- Corbin Dorsey won at two by straight-set scores of 6-3, 7-5.
- At five singles, Stephens came out on top by scores of 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (8-6).
- UT also took six as freshman Dakota Busch prevailed in three sets, 6-1, 4-6, 7-6 (7-5).
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- This marked the first top-10 opponent UT faces this season after facing four in 2018.
Tampa meets State College of Florida on Friday at 3 p.m., at home.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.