Tampa, Fla. — Florida Gulf Coast University defeated the University of Tampa Spartans by a final score of 4-1.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: University of Tampa Spartans 1, Florida Gulf Coast University 4
Records: Tampa (6-9), Florida Gulf Coast (4-2)
Location: The Roc | Fort Myers, Fla
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- On the ones court, Melissa Elias and Sorrel Houghton were defeated by the Eagles in three sets. The Spartans won the first 21-18 and then lost the second two sets 21-17, 15-7.
- Tampa's only victory of the day was from partners Leigh Buttner and Gabbi Pacatte. UT won the first and third set 22-20, 15-11, and lost the second set 21-17.
- The Eagles defeated partners Katie McKiel and Nicole Dominguez in two 21-12 and 21-16.
- Partners Alexandra Misca and Sarah Moore lost on the fours court 21-10, 21-9.
- Tampa already down 3-1, lost the battle of the fives too. Nylah Demps and Marisa Beisner were defeated in three. They lost the first set 25-23, won the second 21-19, and then lost the third 15-13.
- On the exhibition court, FGCU defeated Claire Blumenthal and Danielle Christian also in three. 17-21, 21-16, and 15-8.
Tampa will host SSC foe Saint Leo on Tuesday, March 20th at 4:00 p.m. The game against the Lions will take place at the Tampa Beach Volleyball Complex.