TAMPA, Fla. - The University of Tampa baseball team battled the Bobcats of Georgia College and were defeated with a score of 8-7.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa 7, Georgia College 8
Records: Tampa (5-1), Georgia College (4-2)
Location: UT Baseball Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series with Georgia College 43-19.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Kevin Santa was the first to get on base after an error. Laz Rivera came up to bat and singled to left field, advancing Santa to second base. Santa reached third on a muffed throw and was scored after J.D. Osborne hit a sacrifice fly to right field, advancing Adrian Chacon to second and L. Rivera to third. Andrew DiLaqua came up to bat and hit a home run to right center scoring Chacon and L. Rivera to make the score 4-0.
- After a two hit half inning, the Bobcats scored a runner that would make the score 4-1 heading into the bottom of the second inning.
- In the top of the third, the Bobcats had a single to right field and a double to right field. After a wild pitch, the Bobcats scored another run, now only trailing by two runs.
- In the top of the fourth, Georgia College had a player reach on a fielding error, then they had a double to left center scoring another run. The next batter sacrific flied out to right field, scoring the tieing run. The next at bat the Bobcats homered to left field giving them the lead, 5-4.
- After a one hit half inning from the Bobcats, they increased their lead to 6-4.
- Santa started the bottom of the fifth off with a solo home run to right field, making the score 6-5, Bobcat advantage.
- The top of the sixth brought two walks and two runs for the Bobcats which made their lead 8-5. Santa started the bottom of the seventh with a double down the left field line. L. Rivera mimicked Santa with a double of his own to third base, advancing Santa to third. Chacon grounded out to second base which scored Santa and advanced L. Rivera to third base. Osborne brought L. Rivera in on a ground out to third base, making the score 8-7.
- Despite the Spartans late run, they could not secure the win. They fell to the Bobcats with a score of 8-7.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Santa went 2-5 with a double and a homerun, one RBI, and three runs.
- L. Rivera went 2-5 with a single and a double.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- This is the first game the Spartans have dropped to the Bobcats since the 2014 season.
Tampa returns to action on Friday at 6 pm for a series with Southern Indiana. Live stats will be available through TampaStats.com. Fans can watch through TampaSpartans.tv.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.