TAMPA, Fla. - The University of Tampa baseball team hosted the Screaming Eagles from Southern Indiana for a Friday night game and came out victorious, 5-3.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa 5, Southern Indiana 3
Records: Tampa (6-1), Southern Indiana (0-1)
Location: UT Baseball Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series with Southern Indiana 4-2.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- J.D. Osborne started the Spartans off with a single to center field. Vin Cosenzo came up to bat and was walked with a 3-2 count and Osborne advanced to second. Connor Crile was the next hitter at the plate who singled through the left side advancing all players on base. Then, Chris Gaffney singled up the middle and scored Osborne, giving the Spartans a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the second. Danny Lee reached on a fielder's choice to shortstop scoring Cosenzo and tallying another run, 2-0.
- In the bottom of the third Laz Rivera started the inning off on a single to right field. Adrian Chacon came up to bat next and doubled to center field, L. Rivera made an attempt to make it across the plate but was out at home. Osborne was up to bat third and homered to left field, scoring Chacon and increasing the Spartans runs to 4-0.
- In the bottom of the fourth Richie Rivera singled to the pitcher and then stole second. Lee came up to bat and reached on a fielding error scoring R. Rivera, making the score 5-1.
- In the top of the fifth inning Southern Indiana got on the board after a they hit a homer to center field to give them their first run.
- RHP Cody Martin came in to relieve Cave in the seventh inning. The top of the seventh brought two runs in for the Screaming Eagles, cutting the Spartans lead to only two runs.
- RHP Cheyne Bickle came in to start the top of the eighth, replacing Martin.
- The Spartans held on to their lead and won 5-3.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- RHP Garrett Cave pitched for six innings, only allowed two hits, and recorded nine strikeouts.
- Kevin Santa went 2-4, improving his batting average to .471.
- Osborne went 2-4, recorded two RBIs, and one homerun.
- Connor Crile went 3-5, improving his batting average to .357.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The University of Tampa baseball team has four titles in the 21st century while only one other school, Southern Indiana, has more than one.
Tampa returns to action on Saturday at 12 pm for game two of the series with Southern Indiana. Live stats will be available through TampaStats.com. Fans can watch through TampaSpartans.tv.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.