TAMPA, Fla. - The No. 2 University of Tampa baseball team traveled to Miami Shores to take on the Barry University Buccaneers for their first conference series and were defeated 9-8.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 2 Tampa Spartans 8, Barry 9
Records: Tampa (7-3, 0-1 SSC), Barry (7-6, 1-0 SSC)
Location: Feinbloom Field | Miami Shores, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series with Barry 73-25.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The top of the first started with Danny Lee singling up the middle. After a passed ball, Lee advanced to second. Laz Rivera came up to the plate and singled up the middle to bring in Lee on an RBI. Then, L. Rivera advanced to second on another Barry passed ball. Adrian Chacon doubled through the left side which brought L. Rivera across the plate, giving the Spartans a 2-0 lead in the first. In the bottom of the first Barry collected one run, making the score 2-1.
- In the top of the fourth Vin Cosenzo roped a double to right center. Connor Crile grounded out to second base and advanced Cosenzo to second. Chris Gaffney got on base after being walked on a full count. Richie Rivera came up to bat and homered, recording three RBIs, making the score 5-1.
- In the top of the fifth, Kevin Santa walked and then stole second base. L. Rivera singled up the middle bringing Santa across the plate, making the score 6-1. Barry picked up 4 runs in the bottom of the fifth to make the score 6-5.
- In the bottom of the sixth, Barry picked up two more runs to take the lead over the Spartans, 7-5.
- The seventh inning did not bring any runs across the plate for either teams.
- The bottom of the eighth brought two more runs for the Bucs to increase their lead to 9-6.
- The Spartans brought two runs across the plate in the top of the first in attempt to close in on the Bucs lead. But the Spartans couldn't make it happen and fell to the Bucs 9-8.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- L. Rivera went 4-5 with two RBIs.
- Chacon went 3-5 that included two doubles and two RBIs.
- Lee went 2-5 with one double.
- R. Rivera went 1-4 with a home run and three RBIs.
- Garrett Cave pitched five innings and recorded nine strikeouts.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Tampa has not dropped a game to the Bucs since the 2015 season.
Tampa will continue their series with the Barry Bucs on Saturday for a doubleheader starting at 1 pm. Fans can watch through TampaSpartans.tv.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.