TAMPA, Fla. - The No. 2 University of Tampa baseball team played a double header against the Bucs and won both games, taking the Series over Barry 2-1.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 2 Tampa Spartans 7, Barry 6
Records: Tampa (8-3, 2-1 SSC), Barry (7-7, 1-2 SSC)
Location: Feinbloom Field | Miami Shores, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series with Barry 74-25.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED (Game 2):
- The Bucs were the first to earn a run in the bottom of the fourth.
- The Spartans would not score a run until the top of the sixth. J.D. Osborne got on base after being walked with a 3-1 count and advanced to second base on a wild pitch. Vin Cosenzo came up to the plate and doubled to right center and scoring Osborne to tie the runs 1-1. Chris Gaffney was walked and made it to second after Darren Miller singled and advanced all players. Richie Rivera was due up next and singled to left field, advancing all players and scoring Cosenzo. Danny Lee singled to right field bringing in two RBIs to make the score 4-1. The Spartans added one more run in the top of the sixth, 5-1.
- In the top of the seventh, Osborne singled to left field and stole second base. Gaffney reached on a throwing error and Osborne scored, making the score 6-1.
- The eighth inning brought another run for the Spartans after L. Rivera homered through the left side.
- The top of the ninth brought eight more runs for the Spartans as they went on to win 15-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED (Game 3):
- In the top of the second the Spartans scored after Chacon walked, Osborne doubled down the left field line, Chacon advanced to third, and Cosenzo singled to second base scoring Chacon. Miller reached on a fielders choice that would score Osborne and give the Spartans the lead, 2-0.
- The third inning brought one run in for the Spartans and three runs in for the Bucs, tying the game at 3-3.
- In the top of the fourth Osborne reached on a fielding error and then advanced to second on a passed ball. He scored after Crile hit a single through the left side, giving the Spartans another run 4-3.
- The bottom of the fifth gave the Bucs the lead after they recorded three more runs.
- In the top of the eighth, Cosenzo singled to right field. Miller came up to bat and hit a double to right center, putting Cosenzo in scoring position. Andrew DiLacqua hit a sacrifice fly to give the spartans another run, closing in on the Bucs lead.
- The top of the ninth started out with a single from Santa. L. Rivera was hit by the pitch in his at bat, advancing Santa to second base. Chacon hit a sacrifice bunt that advanced both players. Cosenzo singled up the middle scoring L. Rivera. The Spartans would collect another run in the top of the ninth that would give them the lead, 7-6, heading into the bottom of the ninth. The Spartans held the Bucs and went on to win 7-6.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- In game two Cosenzo went 4-5 with two doubles and one RBI.
- Lee went 3-6 with three RBIs.
- Miller went 3-5 with three RBIs and one double.
- In game three, Santa went 4-5 with one double.
- Cosenzo went 2-4 with two RBIs.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Spartans have not dropped a series to the Barry Bucs since the 2011 season.
Tampa will return to action when they travel to St. Augustine to take on Flagler College for a weekend series. They will play at 6 pm on Friday and at 12 pm and 3 pm on Saturday. Fans can watch through TampaSpartans.tv.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.