TAMPA, Fla. - The No. 2 University of Tampa Spartans welcomes in the Rockhurst University Hawks for a mid-week game at the UT Baseball Field.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 2 Tampa Spartans 16, Rockhurst Hawks 1
Records: Tampa (12-4), Rockhurst (8-3)
Location: UT Baseball Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series with Rockhurst 3-1.
How it happened
- Danny Lee and Kevin Santa each scored on RBI groundouts in the top of the first to give the Spartans an early 2-0 lead. Vin Cosenzo then came around to score on a Darren Miller double to push the score to 3-0. UT finished their scoring as they pushed across two more runs to make the game 5-0, as Chris Gaffney and Miller scored on a Conner Crile single.
- With two outs in the bottom of the second inning, JD Osborne unloaded a 1-0 pitch, as he hit his eighth home run of the season to give Tampa a 6-0 lead.
- Gaffney, Connor Crile, Lee and Santa each scored in the bottom of the third inning as the lead was extended to 10-0.
- Richie Rivera hit a double to right center field to plate Miller and extend the led to 11-0. Freshman Garret Back earned his first hit of his career, as he hit an RBI single up the middle to score the Spartans 12th run.
- With two outs in the bottom of seventh inning, Andrew DiLacqua hit his third home run of the season out to left-centerfield.
- In the bottom of the eighth inning, Ricky Negron hit a three-run homer to left field to finish the UT scoring at 16 runs.
- Freshmen pitcher Colton Widdows earned the start on the bump for Tampa. The freshmen pitched three perfect innings, as he allowed no hits, no runs, and no walks. He also recorded five strikeouts on the night.
- Sophomore Mark Moclair came into relief as he worked two innings for the Spartans, as he allowed no base runners and recorded three strikeouts,
- Nick Nolan followed Moclair, working a perfect inning recording two strikeouts.
- Cody Martin came in the game in the seventh inning, throwing an inning, striking out two.
- Christopher Williams entered the game in the eighth inning as he allowed one hit and picked up a strike out.
- Cheyne Bickel rounded out the night for the Spartans as he pitched the final inning allowing one runs and two hits.
Inside the Stats
- Seven different Spartans recorded multi-hit games.
- Osborne and Negron each picked up three RBI.
- With his home run, Osborne now leads the Sunshine State Conference in home runs
Beyond the Box
- Colton Widdows picked up the victory as he improved his record to 2-0 on the year.
- Jack Loefflad hit his first career triple, as he hit one out to the left-centerfield gap in the bottom of the seventh inning.
- The Spartans had a perfect game going through 7.1 innings before Jacob Thigpen hit a double to left-centerfield.
- This matches the highest scoring output of the season for the Spartans.
Tampa will return to action on Friday at 6 pm when they host the Saint Leo University Lions for a weekend series. Fans can watch through TampaSpartans.tv.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.