TAMPA, Fla. - The No. 2 University of Tampa Spartans welcomed Saint Leo University for the opening game of their weekend series and were victorious in the bottom of the ninth.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 2 Tampa Spartans 6, Saint Leo Lions 5
Records: Tampa (13-4, 3-1 SSC), Saint Leo (10-7, 0-1 SSC)
Location: UT Baseball Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series 108-31 over the Saint Leo Lions.
How it happened
- The top of the first brought the Lions thier first run of the game after a double followed by an RBI single.
- After a sacrifice hit from Kevin Santa, Richie Rivera came across home plate to give the Spartans their first run of the game.
- In the bottom of the fourth, Chris Gaffney hit a homer to left field and gave the Spartans another run, 2-1.
- The top of the fifth brought two runs for the Lions and gave Saint leo the one run lead 3-2.
- After Andrew DiLacqua reached on a fielding error and R. Rivera was hit by the pitch, J.D. Osborne came up to bat and hit a double down the left field line to give the Spartans the lead, 4-3, heading into the top of the sixth.
- Cheyne Bickel came in to pitch for Garrett Cave in the top of the sixth.
- The top of the sixth gave the Lions two more runs which returned the lead to Saint Leo, 5-4.
- Darren Miller homered to left center in the bottom of the sixth and tied the score, 5-5.
- R. Rivera hit a double down the left field line that would be the scoring run after Danny Lee bunted bringing R. Rivera across the plate. Spartans win 6-5.
Inside the Stats
- Osborne went 3-4 with one double and two RBI.
Beyond the Box
- Bickel gets the win and improves his record to 3-1.
Tampa will return to action Saturday at 3 pm for a doubleheader against Saint Leo University. Fans can watch through TampaSpartans.tv.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.