TAMPA, Fla. - The No. 2 University of Tampa Spartans had a doubleheader with the Saint Leo Lions to close out the series between the conference foes and
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 2 Tampa Spartans 12, Saint Leo Lions 1
Final (Game 3): No. 2 Tampa Spartans 12, Saint Leo Lions 6
Records: Tampa (15-4, 5-1 SSC), Saint Leo (10-9, 0-3 SSC)
Location: UT Baseball Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series 109-31 over the Saint Leo Lions.
How it happened (Game 2)
- Saint Leo was the first team to get on the board in the top of the second.
- In the bottom of the fifth, Richie Rivera doubled down the left field line and scored Darren Miller. Danny Lee singled to right field and scored R. Rivera and Chris Gaffney. The Spartans went up 3-1. Kevin Santa singled to right field and advanced Lee to third base. Adrian Chacon came up to bat and singled to the shortstop, scoring Lee and advancing Santa to second. Vin Cosenzo came to the plate next and homered to right center, making the score 7-1. Miller came up to bat again and hit a homer of his own to make the score 8-1 heading into the sixth inning.
- In the bottom of the seventh, Miller got on base after being hit by pitch. Connor Crile came up to bat and hit a triple to right center, scoring Miller and making the score 9-1. Andrew DiLacqua came up next and doubled to right field scoring Crile. After a wild pitch, DiLacqua scored making the score 11-1 to close out the bottom of the seventh.
- In the bottom of the eighth the Spartans picked up one more run and solidified the game at 12-1.
How it happened (Game 2)
- In the bottom of the first, Santa and J.D. Osborne hit back-to-back home runs to give the Spartans a 2-0 lead.
- In the bottom of the second, DiLacqua singled to left field then advanced to second after R. Rivera hit sacrifice bunt. Lee came up to bat and singled up the middle scoring DiLacqua making the score 3-0.
- In the top of the third, the Lions picked up a run and made the score 3-1.
- Cosenzo and Miller singled in the bottom of the third. DiLacqua came up to hit and singled up the middle and picked up two RBI. The Spartans led 5-1 heading into the top of the fourth.
- The Lions picked up two runs in the top of the fourth and closed in on the Spartans lead 5-3.
- The bottom of the fourth brought three runs for the Spartans after Santa hit a homer and scored Lee and R. Rivera to make the score 8-3.
- In the top of the fifth the Lions picked up two runs and made the score 8-5.
- The bottom of the fifth opened up by Chacon being hit by the pitch. R. Rivera doubled to left center and advanced Chacon to third base. After a double to right center by Lee, R. Rivera and Chacon scored giving the Spartans a 10-5 lead.
- In the bottom of the eighth Santa reached first base on a fielding error and advanced to second after Osborne was hit by a pitch. Miller came up to the plate and singled to left field scoring Santa and advancing Osborne to third. Crile flied out to left field which brought Osborne across the plate and increasing the Spartans lead to 12-6. The Spartans went on to win 12-6.
Inside the Stats
- Lebron won the first game and improved his record to 3-0
- Chris Williams won the second game and improved his record to 2-0
- Santa went 4-9 with three runs, four RBI, and two homeruns
- R. Rivera went 4-6 with three doubles and one RBI
- Miller went 5-7 with two RBI
Beyond the Box
- This is the first conference sweep of the season for the Spartans.
Tampa will return to action Sunday at 1 pm for a game against Bridgeport. Fans can watch through TampaSpartans.tv.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.