TAMPA, Fla. - The No. 1 University of Tampa Spartans battled the Embry-Riddle Eagles in a doubleheader and dropped the first game to the Eagles but ended up winning the series in the second game 13-5.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final (Game One): Embry-Riddle Eagles 6, No. 1 Tampa Spartans 4
Final (Game Two): No. 1 Tampa Spartans 13, Embry-Riddle Eagles 5
Records: Tampa (21-7), Embry-Riddle (10-20)
Location: UT Baseball Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series with a 9-6 record over the Eagles.
How it happened (Game One):
- The Spartans were on the board first in the bottom of the first inning when J.D. Osborne reached on a fielding error and made it home when Laz Rivera tripled down the right field line.
- The bottom of the fifth inning brought in three runs for the Spartans after Richie Rivera hit a home run to left center followed by a single from Lee, a double from Osborne and a single from L. Rivera.
- In the top of the sixth inning, the Eagles scored four runs and tied the game with the Spartans.
- The Eagles scored one run in the top of the eighth on a solo homerun to right field.
- The Spartans trailed the Eagles 5-4 heading into the top of the ninth when the Eagles scored another run, 6-4.
- The Eagles went on to win game one 6-4.
How it happened (Game Two):
- The first inning started out with a single from Danny Lee to left field. Lee advanced to second when Kevin Santa was walked. L. Rivera reached on a fielder's choice and Lee scored giving the Spartans a 1-0 lead.
- In the bottom of the third, Santa singled to the right side. Then Osborne came up to bat and doubled to left center and scored Santa, 2-0. L. Rivera came up to the plate and homered to left field, scoring Osborne and increasing the score to 4-0.
- The Eagles scored one run in the top of the fourth to close in on the Spartans lead.
- In the bottom of the fifth the Spartans also picked up one run to make the score 5-1.
- The top of the sixth gave the Eagles three runs which made the score within one, 5-4.
- The bottom of the sixth brought in two runs for the Spartans as they increased their lead to 7-4.
- DiLacqua started the bottom of the seventh out with a solo homerun to left field and made the score 8-4.
- In the bottom of the eighth Osborne doubled down the left field line to start the inning. Then L. Rivera singled to left field and advanced Osborne to third. Miller walked and L. Rivera advanced to second base. Nick DeTringo reached on a fielder's choice and Osborne scored. Kyle Cotiletta came in and singled to shortstop and scored L. Rivera making the score 10-4. The Spartans picked up three more runs and made the score 13-4 heading into the top of the ninth.
- The Eagles would pick up one more run in the ninth but the Spartans went on to win 13-5.
Inside the Stats (Game One):
- Four Spartans had at least two hits.
Inside the Stats (Game Two):
- Lee went 2-4 with two runs and one RBI
- Santa went 3-5 with two runs and two RBI
- Osborne went 3-4 with three doubles, two runs and three RBI
- DiLacqua went 2-4 with one run and one RBI
- Christian Calleja received the win and improved his record 2-0
- Chris Williams received his first save of the season
Beyond the Box:
- DiLacqua tallied his fourth homerun of the season.
Tampa will return to action on Friday March 31st as they travel to Melbourne for a weekend series with Florida Tech starting at 6 pm. Fans can watch through TampaSpartans.tv.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.