TAMPA, Fla. - The No. 3 University of Tampa Spartans traveled to Melbourne to take on the Florida Tech Panthers for a weekend series and dropped game one, 14-8.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Florida Tech Panthers 14, No. 3 Tampa Spartans 8
Records: Tampa (21-8, 8-2 SSC), Florida Tech (18-11, 4-3 SSC)
Location: Andy Seminick-Les Hall Field | Melbourne, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series with a 97-29 record over the Panthers.
How it happened
- Danny Lee started off the game on a walk. Kevin Santa came up next and singled through the right side, advancing Lee to third base. J.D. Osborne came up to bat and hit a sacrifice fly to score Lee and give the Spartans their first run. Santa advanced to third base on a wild pitch. Laz Rivera came up to the plate and singled to the shortstop bringing Santa home for another run, 2-0. L. Rivera advanced to third on a throwing error by the first baseman. Vin Cosenzo grounded out to second base but scored L. Rivera to add another run for the Spartans in the top of the first. In the bottom of the first, the Panthers picked up one run, making the score 3-1.
- The Panthers scored seven runs in the bottom of the second to take the lead over the Spartans 8-3.
- Florida Tech continued their offensive run in the bottom of the third when they scored two more runs to make the score 10-3 heading into thte top of the fourth.
- After a stand up double to right center by Darren Miller in the top of the fifth, he scored two runs that would make the score 10-5, Panthers advantage.
- The bottom of the fifth brought in two runs by the Panthers to increase their lead to 12-5.
- In the top of the sixth, Chris Gaffney singled to right field to start the inning. Richie Rivera was hit by the pitch and Gaffney advanced to second. Lee singled through the left side and scored Gaffney. Santa then hit a single of his own through the right side and scored R. Rivera. The Spartans picked up one more run in the inning and made the score 12-8. The bottom of the sixth brought the Panthers another run, 13-8.
- The Panthers went on to win 14-8.
Inside the Stats
- L. Rivera went 3-4 with two runs and one RBI.
- Gaffney went 2-3 with one run.
- Miller went 1-2 with three RBI.
Tampa will return to action on Saturday for a doubleheader starting at 12 pm with the Panthers. Fans can watch through TampaSpartans.tv.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.