TAMPA, Fla. - The No. 3 University of Tampa Spartans battled the Florida Tech Panthers in a doubleheader and won the series.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final (Game One): No. 3 Tampa Spartans 6, Florida Tech Panthers 2
Final (Game Two): No. 3 Tampa Spartans 8, Florida Tech Panthers 2
Records: Tampa (23-8, 10-2 SSC), Florida Tech (18-13, 4-5 SSC)
Location: Andy Seminick-Les Hall Field | Melbourne, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series with a 99-29 record over the Eagles.
How it happened (Game One):
- The Panthers were the first team to score in the bottom of the third where they picked up two runs.
- Kevin Santa started the top of the fourth on a hit by pitch. Darren Miller came up to the plate and tied the game after he homered to left field, 2-2. Laz Rivera singled through the right side to get on base. Andrew DiLacqua came up to bat and hit a sacrifice fly to center field and scored L. Rivera.
- The top of the seventh brought in two runs for the Spartans as they increased their lead to 5-2.
- In the top of the eighth Vin Cosenzo singled up the middle. DiLacqua came up next and singled through the left side, advancing Cosenzo to second. Richie Rivera scored a run for the Spartans as he singled to left field, bringing Cosenzo across the plate.
- Cody Martin came in to pitch for David Lebron in the bottom of the ninth and allowed no runs, solidifying the Spartans win at 6-2.
How it happened (Game Two):
- Santa started off game first pitch swinging and singled through the left side. He then advanced to second on passed ball. J.D. Osborne singled to right field, driving in Santa for the Spartans first run on the game. Rivera came up and singled to the shortstop and advanced Osborne to third base. Cosenzo came to the plate and snuck a single through the right side and brought in another run as Osborne made it home.
- The Panthers picked up one run in the bottom of the first to cut into the Spartans lead.
- Miller started the top of the fifth out on a walk. Osborne advanced Miller to second base but was out at first base. L. Rivera singled up the middle and Miller scored, making the score 3-1.
- The Spartans had a big top of the sixth where they scored three runs to increase their lead to 6-1 over the Panthers.
- Connor Crile started out the top of the seventh on a walk. Kyle Cotilletta pinch ran for Crile and Lee singled to left center and scored Cotilletta giving the Spartans another run, 7-1.
- Cotiletta walked to start the top of the ninth. Gaffney came up to bat next and hit a stand up double to deep right center field, scoring Cotilletta, 8-1.
- The Spartans went on to win 8-2.
Inside the Stats (Game One):
- Cosenzo went 3-4, with two runs.
- Miller went 2-4, with one run, three RBI and one home run.
- DiLacqua went 3-3 with one run and one RBI.
Inside the Stats (Game Two):
- L. Rivera went 2-4 with two RBI.
- Osborne went 2-5 with two RBI and one run.
Beyond the Box:
- Miller tallied his eighth homerun of the season in game one.
- David Lebron earned the game one win and improved his record to 5-0.
- Christian Calleja earned the game two win and improved his record to 3-0.
Tampa will return to action on Friday April 7th as they travel to Tennessee for a weekend series with Tusculum starting at 6 pm. Fans can watch through TampaSpartans.tv.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.