TAMPA, Fla. - The No. 7 University of Tampa Spartans took on the No. 15 ranked Florida Southern and fell 10-5.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 15 Florida Southern 10, No. 7 Tampa 7
Records: Tampa (27-11, 13-3 SSC), Florida Southern (30-8, 8-5 SSC)
Location: Henley Field | Lakeland, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series over the Mocs, 84-79.
How it happened
- Darren Miller wasted no time getting on the board as he hit a solo homerun to right center in his first at bat, putting the Spartans up 1-0 in the top of the first.
- In the top of the second, Danny Lee singled through the right side. Connor Crile came up to the plate and hit a deep homer to right field and brought in Lee, 3-0.
- Chris Gaffney increased the Spartans lead after starting the top of the fifth off with a solo homer to right field.
- The Mocs picked up two runs in the bottom of the fifth, making the score 5-2.
- Florida Southern picked up another run in the bottom of the sixth.
- The Mocs had a very successful bottom of the seventh as they scored six runs and tookt he lead 9-5 over the Spartans.
- The Mocs picked up another run in the bottom of the eighth.
- In the top of the ninth the Spartans made an effort at a comeback when they earned two runs, but fell short 10-7.
Inside the Stats
- Miller went 2-5 with one RBI and one home run
- L. Rivera went 3-5 with one double
- Gaffney went 2-3 with one RBI and one home run
Tampa will return to action tomorrow at 1 pm for a doubleheader against the Mocs. Fans can watch through TampaSpartans.tv.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.