TAMPA, Fla. - The No. 5 University of Tampa Spartans battled the Eckerd College Tritons in a doubleheader and split games.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final (Game One): No. 5 Tampa Spartans 20, Eckerd Tritons 6
Final (Game Two): No. 5 Tampa Spartans 5, Eckerd Tritons 11
Records: Tampa (33-12, 16-4 SSC), Eckerd (19-27, 8-12 SSC)
Location: UT Baseball Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series with a 103-29 record over the Tritons.
How it happened (Game One):
- The Tritons got off to a better start than yesterday's game as they scored two runs in the top of the first. The Spartans started the bottom of the first off by Kevin Santa being walked. Laz Rivera came up next and hit a single that moved Santa to second base. J.D. Osborne hit an RBI single that scored Santa. Vin Cosenzo came up to bat and was walked. Connor Crile hit an RBI single and scored L. Rivera. Andrew DiLacqua reached on a fielder's choice and Osborne came across the bag. Nick DeTringo made his way to the plate and hit a grand slam to left field to give the Spartans a 7-2 lead over the Tritons.
- The Tritons picked up two runs in the top of the third to close in on the Spartans five run lead, 7-4.
- In the bottom of the fourth, the Spartans picked up another six runs, to make the score 13-4.
- The bottom of the seventh started with Chris Gaffney getting hit by the pitch. Then Garrett Back came up and singled to left field and moved Gaffney to second base. Back and Gaffney each stole a base putting runners on second and third. Osborne came up to bat and homered to left field. Danny Lee followed suit and hit a home run and increased the Spartans lead to 18-4.
- The Tritons put two more runs on the board in the top of the eighth.
- In the bottom of the eighth, Back walked on a full count. Then Ricky Negron homered to make the score 20-6. The Spartans solidified their victory over the Tritons at 20-6.
How it happened (Game Two):
- The second game started much differently than the first. The Tritons came out recharged as they scored runs in the first four innings.
- The Spartans had trouble connecting and remained scoreless until the bottom of the fifth when they scored three runs to make the score 10-3.
- The Tritons picked up another run in the top of the seventh to increase their lead to 11-3.
- The bottom of the eighth started with Cosenzo hitting a single to left field. DiLacqua mirrored Cosenzo with a single to left as well. Lee hit a single that advanced all players, loading the bases. R. Rivera flied out to left field scoring Cosenzo, making the score 11-4.
- Gaffney led off the bottom of the ninth with a solo home run to center field to make the score 11-5.
Inside the Stats (Game One):
- Osborne went 4-5 with three runs, seven RBI, and hit two homers
- DeTringo went 3-5 with two runs, six RBI, and hit two homers
Inside the Stats (Game Two):
- Cosenzo went 2-4 with two runs and two RBI.
- Lee went 3-5 with two RBI
Beyond the Box:
- DeTringo hit his first home runs as a Spartan in game one of the doubleheader, one grand slam and a two RBI homer.
- Lee hit his first home run of the season in game one.
- The Spartans clinched the Sunshine State Conference title with their game one victory.
- Gaffney tallied his sixth home run of the season.
- This ends a 42-game winning streak for Tampa against Eckerd. The streak dated back to the 2005 season.
Tampa will return to action on Thursday May 11th as they host Rollins College for a weekend series starting at 3 pm. Fans can watch through TampaSpartans.tv.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.