TAMPA, Fla. - The No. 4 University of Tampa Spartans took on the Miles College Bears in the opening game of the NCAA South Regional Tournament and were victorious by a 12-1 mark.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 4 Tampa 12, Miles 1
Records: Tampa (38-12), Miles (31-22)
Location: Harvey Stadium-Ferriss Field | Cleveland, Miss.
All-time Series: This is the first time the Spartans have met the Bears, and Tampa now leads 1-0.
How it happened
- The bottom of the second started with a 3-0 walk for Darren Miller. Andrew DiLacqua was also walked which advanced Miller to second base. Both Miller and DiLacqua stole a base and put players on second and third when Chris Gaffney came up to bat. Gaffney hit a single up the middle that scored both Miller and DiLacqua giving the Spartans the first lead of the game.
- The Bears picked up one run in the top of the fourth that would close in on the Spartans two run lead.
- The Spartans answered the Miles run with four of their own in the bottom of the fourth. The inning started with a single to right field from Gaffney. Danny Lee came up to the plate next and bunted to reach on a fielder's choice. Richie Rivera was walked with a 3-0 count and Lee advanced to second base. Kevin Santa singled to the shortstop and loaded the bases. Laz Rivera hit a sacrifice fly to bring Lee across the bag. J.D. Osborne came up to bat and singled to left field scoring R. Rivera. Vin Cosenzo continued the hitting tear with a two RBI triple to right field, making the score 6-1 heading to the top of the fifth.
- The fifth inning was stagnant for both teams as no one registered a run. The bottom of the sixth was a different story for the Spartans. The first hit of the inning was recorded by L. Rivera as he singled through the left side. Left field saw action again when Osborne came up to the plate and singled down the left field line moving L. Rivera to third base. Cosenzo reached first on a fielding error by the shortstop and Osborne and L. Rivera scored on the error. Miller came up to bat and singled to left field and advanced to second on the throw, moving Cosenzo to third. DiLacqua hit a sacrifice fly in his at bat which would bring Cosenzo across home plate. Gaffney, continuing his hitting streak, hit a two RBI homerun to left field increasing the Spartans lead to 11-1.
- The Spartans picked up one more run in the bottom of the seventh before they defeated the Bears, making the final score 12-1.
Inside the Stats
- Gaffney went 3-5 with four RBI and one homerun
- L. Rivera went 3-4 with two runs and one RBI
- Osborne went 3-4 with two runs and one RBI
- Cosenzo went 2-5 with four RBI
Beyond the Boxscore:
- Jordan Leasure improves his record to 3-1 after earning the win.
- Adrian Chacon made an appearance on the mound for an inning tallying a strikeout.
- Gaffney hit his 9th homerun of the season.
Tampa will return to action tomorrow at 8 pm for a battle against their conference rival and defending national champion, Nova Southeastern. Fans can watch through TampaSpartans.tv.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.