TAMPA, Fla. - The University of Tampa baseball team fell to the Falcons in the second game of a three-game series.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Bentley 7, Tampa 6
Records: Tampa (1-1), Bentley (1-1)
Location: UT Baseball Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series with Bentley 18-2.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Spartans started hot in the bottom of the first as Stephen Smith singled to third base on a bunt. Drew Ehrhard would reach on a fielder's choice that would put Smith out at second. Darren Miller then doubled to left center, moving Ehrhard to third base. Danny Sirven came up to the plate and hit a single to right field that would bring Ehrhard across the bag, give the Spartans their first run of the game. Harrison Bragg came up to bat and was walked. Connor Crile singled through the right side in his at-bat advancing Bragg and scoring Miller. Danny Maynard then singled up the middle scoring Bragg, putting the Spartans up 3-0 heading into the top of the second inning.
- Bentley retaliated in the second inning by posting two runs on the scoreborad. In the top of the fourth the Falcons tied the game after hitting a homerun.
- Bentley went on another run in the top of the seventh that would give them a lead, making the score 6-3.
- The Spartans did not let the Falcons' run deter them as they tied the game up in the bottom of the eighth.
- Neither team scored in the ninth inning, sending the game into extra innings.
- In the top of the eleventh, the Falcons scored again taking the lead 7-6.
- The Spartans were unable to score in the bottom of the eleventh, giving the Falcons the victory.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Smith went 3-6 and collected one RBI.
- Bragg went 3-4 and had two runs.
- Crile went 2-5 and recorded two RBI.
- Combined, the pitchers recorded 11 strikeouts.
Tampa returns to action on Sunday, February 4th at 11:00AM for the final game against Bentley University. Live stats will be available through TampaStats.com.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.