TAMPA, Fla. - The University of Tampa baseball team faced off against the Georgia College Bobcats, surviving a late rally to defeat the visitors..
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa 5, Georgia College 4
Records: Tampa (3-2), Georgia College (3-2)
Location: UT Baseball Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series with Georgia College 48-21.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Bobcats scored the first run of the game in the top of the first inning.
- A single from Darren Miller helped Stephen Smith score for the Spartans.
- Harrison Bragg hit his second home run of the season, which gave the Spartans a 3-1 lead.
- Pitcher Colton Widdows relieved Cole Aker in the top of the fourth.
- Top of the fifth the Bobcats battled back with one run. Pitcher Clay Helvey relieved Colton Widdows.
- Miller doubled, allowed Smith to score for Tampa in the bottom of the fifth.
- Chris Gaffney had an RBI pinch hit single, allowing Bragg to score.
- Top of the ninth pitcher Cheyne Bickel relieved Clay Helvey. GC would score two, but Bickel held the lead for his first save.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Smith led the Spartans in hits with three.
- Miller and Bragg recorded two hits and two RBI's each.
- Crile, Gaffney and DeTringo tallied one hit each.
- Starting pitcher Aker earned his first Spartan win while going 3.2 innings and allowing just one run.
Tampa returns to action on Sunday at noon for game three of the weekend series against Georgia College. Live stats will be available through TampaStats.com and video through TampaSpartans.tv.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.