TAMPA, Fla. - The University of Tampa baseball team won game two and three to sweep Florida Tech.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: (Game 2) #2 Tampa 7, Florida Tech 3; (Game 3) #2 Tampa 12, Florida Tech 8
Records: Tampa (10-2), Florida Tech (4-9)
Location: UT Baseball Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series record over the Panthers at 12-1.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED IN GAME 2:
- The Spartans scored first off an RBI double from Cole Perry, allowed Connor Crile to score.
- Top of the third the Panthers answer back with three runs.
- Danny Sirven had a double play which allowed Darren Miller to advance to third and Drew Ehrhard to score. Tampa trailed Florida Tech 3-2 going into the fourth.
- Back to back homeruns from the Spartans allowed them to pull ahead in the bottom of the fourth. Perry hit the first homerun, allowed Nick Detringo to also score. Second homerun was by Ehrhard, Tampa lead 5-3.
- A double play from Ehrhard advanced Brandon Gali to third and allowed Perry to score. Gali scored on a wild pitch. Spartans lead 7-3 bottom of the sixth.
- Florida Tech unable to answer, Tampa won 7-3.
HOW IT HAPPENED IN GAME 3:
- The Spartans took the lead early with a homerun from Danny Sirven which allowed Ehrhard to also score.
- The Panthers bounced back with two runs in the top of the third.
- Bottom of the third Miller flied out to left field, sacrifice fly, RBI; Smith scored.
- Tampa scored two more runs in the bottom of the fourth. Crile scored off a RBI single from Perry and Crile off a RBI triple from Chris Gaffney.
- Top of the fifth, Clay Helvey relieves pitcher Cole Aker.
- Florida Tech answers with two runs in the top of the fifth.
- Christian Calleja came in to relieve Helvey to start the sixth.Panthers tied it up in the top of the sixth.
- Nick Detringo homered and allowed Perry to also score in the bottom of the sixth. The Spartans took back the lead.
- Top of the seventh Cheyne Bickel relieved Calleja.
- Bottom of the seventh Miller homered, 2 RBI; Ehrhard scored. Sirven scored off a RBI single from Crile. Crile scored off a RBI single from Perry.
- The Panthers scored one run in the top of the eighth.
- Sirven singled up the middle, RBI; Ehrhard advanced to third; Gali scored.
- Top of the ninth the Panthers scored two runs.
INSIDE THE STATS OF GAME 2:
- Pimentel improves his record to 4-0 on the season.
- Pitchers tallied 10 strikeouts. Moclair led the Spartans in strikeouts with seven and gained his second save of the season.
- Ehrhard and Perry led the Spartans in hits and runs, each with three hits and two runs.
- Perry and Ehrhard both had a homerun.
INSIDE THE STATS OF GAME 3:
- Calleja recorded his first win of the season. Bickel had his second save.
- Sirven, DeTringo and Miller each had a homerun.
- Pitchers totaled 10 strikeouts.
- The Spartans tallied 16 hits
Tampa returns to action on Friday, March 2nd, at 6:00PM for a three game series with the Nova Southeastern Sharks.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.