TAMPA, Fla. - The University of Tampa baseball team took on the Lynn Fighting Knights and defeated them 14-2.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: #3 Tampa 14, Lynn 2
Records: Tampa (23-5, 12-1 SSC), Lynn (19-13, 8-8 SSC)
Location: Lynn University Baseball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series record over Lynn at 72-24.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Spartans started the top of the first inning off bringing the bats. Stephen Smith started with a single up the middle. Drew Ehrhard got on base after reaching on a throwing error by Lynn's first baseman and he and Smith advanced to second on an error. Harrison Bragg came up to bat and singled through the left side, scoring Ehrhard and Smith. Bragg then advanced to third on a passed ball and wild pitch. Darren Miller then doubled to left center scoring Bragg. Danny Sirven then came up to the plate and singled up the middle, moving Miller to third base. Connor Crile then singled to first base and scoring Miller. The Spartans headed into the bottom of the first inning with a 4-0 lead.
- Brandon Gali started the top of the second inning off with a double to left field. Back at the top of the order, Smith hit a sacrifice bunt to move Gali to third base. Ehrhard then drove a run in on a sacrifice fly to left field.
- The Spartans picked up three more runs in the top of the inning, making the score 8-0 heading into the bottom of the third inning.
- Miller crushed a home run to left center in the top of the fourth giving the Spartans a 9-0 lead in the top of the fourth.
- The Knights picked up a run in the bottom of the fifth inning, making the score 9-1.
- Smith scored on a wild pitch in the top of the sixth, Spartans up 10-1.
- In the top of the eighth the Spartans scored two more runs increasing their lead to 12-1.
- In the top of the ninth Richie Rivera was walked to get on base (3-1). Kyle Cotilletta pinch hit for Smith and singled to right field. Drew Burkhart then reached on a throwing error by the third baseman, Rivera scored. Cole Perry then doubled to left field scoring Cotilletta and increasing their lead to 14-2 heading into the bottom of the ninth.
- The Spartans went on to win 14-2.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Lebron earned his sixth win of the season
- Smith went 2-4 with two runs
- Bragg went 2-5 with two runs and two RBI
- Miller went 2-4 with two runs, two RBI, one double, and one home run
- Gali went 2-4 with two RBI and two doubles
Tampa returns to action on Saturday, March 31st, at 12:00 PM for a doubleheader against Lynn.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.