TAMPA, Fla. - The University of Tampa baseball team dropped the first game of the series with the University of Southern Indiana Eagles 4-3.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: #2 Tampa 6, Southern Indiana 3
Records: Tampa (32-6), Southern Indiana (20-17)
Location: USI Baseball Field | Evansville, Ind.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series with the Eagles 6-5.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Spartans scored first in the top of the second after Harrison Bragg homered to left field.
- The Eagles tied the game in the bottom of the third inning when they picked up one run.
- In the top of the fourth, Danny Sirven registered a home run to right field giving the Spartans a 2-1 lead.
- Again, the Eagles tied the game in the bottom of the sixth.
- In the top of the eighth Brandon Gali started the inning off with a single to center field. Richie Rivera was then walked, moving Gali to second base. Both runners advanced a base after a wild pitch was thrown. Gali then scored after another wild pitch was thrown by the Eagles. Drew Ehrhard then came up to bat and singled up the middle, scoring Rivera. Darren Miller then singled through the left side and advancing Ehrhard to third base. Sirven continued the hitting run with a single to left field, bringing Ehrhard across home plate. Bragg mirrored sirven with an RBI single to left field of his own, putting the Spartans up 6-2 heading into the bottom of the seventh.
- USI was able to record another run in the bottom of the eighth but it wouldn't be enough to close in on the Spartans lead.
- The Spartans went on to win 6-3.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Bragg and Sirven both went 3-5 with two RBI
- Rivera and Ehrhard both went 2-4
- Keven Pimentel improves his record to 9-1
- Cheyne Bickel recorded his sixth save
Tampa returns to action on Sunday, April 22nd, for the third game of the series starting at 1 pm.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.