TAMPA, Fla. - The University of Tampa baseball team dropped the first game of the series to the Mocs in a close 5-4 battle.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 1 Tampa Spartans 4, No. 4 Florida Southern Mocs 5
Records: Tampa (38-8, 26-2 SSC), Florida Southern (38-8-1, 21-7 SSC)
Location: UT Baseball Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa trails the all-time series record with Florida Southern at a close 98-100.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Tampa was the first on the board in the bottom of the third when Richie Rivera led off and singled to left field. Stephen Smith then hit a sacrifice bunt that moved Rivera to second base. Drew Ehrhard then drove Rivera in after hitting a triple to center field. Darren Miller then came up to bat and homered to right field scoring two RBI and making the score 3-0 heading into the top of the fourth.
- The Mocs picked up a run in the top of the fifth that would bring them within two runs of the Spartans.
- Miller notched another home run in the bottom of the sixth that made the Spartans lead three runs.
- The Mocs recorded consecutive runs in the top of the seventh, eighth, and ninth innings that would lead them to victory over the Spartans, 5-4.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Miller went 3-4 with three RBI
- Miller hit two home runs in the 5-4 loss, one to right field and one to left field.
- Ehrhard recorded one RBI
Tampa returns to action Saturday, May 12th at 1 pm for a doubleheader with SSC rival Florida Southern Mocs.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.