TAMPA, Fla. - The University of Tampa suffered a setback in its season-opener as it dropped a 6-2 decision to Lander University at Steinbrenner Field.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lander Bearcats 6, No. 2 Tampa Spartans 2
Records: Tampa (0-1), Lander (1-0)
Location: Steinbrenner Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa now holds a 2-1 advantage in the all-time series.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lander would open the scoring in the bottom of the second on a solo home run, and extend its lead to 3-0 on a pair of runs in the bottom of the fifth.
- The first Spartan run of the season came in the sixth as Alec Aleywine belted an RBI triple to the left-center gap to score Nick DeTringo.
- UT would cut the Bearcat lead to 3-2 on an RBI groundout by Nick Derr.
- Lander posted a three-run seventh inning to break the game open, extending its lead to 6-2.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- In his first game as a Spartan, Aleywine went 2-for-4 with a double and RBI triple. He also scored a run.
- Keven Pimentel earned the start and went 5.0 innings, allowing six hits and two earned runs while striking out five with no walks.
- Pitching the final 3.0 innings in relief was James Reynolds. He allowed three hits and two earned runs while fanning five.
- UT's six-through-nine hitters were a combined 0-for-13.
OUTSIDE THE BOX:
- Head coach Joe Urso now stands at 786 career wins as the all-time winningest coach in UT history is approaching another milestone.
- This marks Tampa's first loss in a season opener since 2013, when the eventual national champions fell 5-3 to Bentley. In all, four of UT's seven national championship teams dropped their season opener (1992, 1993, 2006, 2013).
Tampa faces No. 19 Mount Olive on Saturday at noon at Steinbrenner Field.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.