TAMPA, Fla. - The University of Tampa came through with its first win of 2019 with an impressive victory over North Greenville University in a matchup of the top two teams in NCAA Division II.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 2 Tampa Spartans 11, North Greenville Crusaders 5
Records: Tampa (1-2), North Greenville (1-2)
Location: Steinbrenner Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: The Spartans prevailed in the first-ever meeting between the in-region opponents.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- North Greenville started off the scoring with a run in the bottom of the first inning.
- The lead would be short-lived as the Spartans connected on a pair of solo home runs off the bats of Alec Aleywine and Danny Maynard, giving UT a 2-1 advantage.
- Aleywine would extend the Spartan lead to 3-1 as he launched another solo shot into the rightfield bleachers in the fourth inning.
- The Spartans extended the lead to 4-1 in the fifth when Nick Derr crossed the plate on a sacrifice bunt off the bat of shortstop Mikey Navarette.
- The Crusaders would knot the score at 4-4 in the bottom of the fifth, coming as a result of a pair of Spartan errors.
- Tampa broke the game wide open with a seven-run seventh inning. The scoring started on the second home run by Maynard, and also included a two-run single by Nick DeTringo, a two-run double by Danny Sirven and a Maynard sacrifice fly as the Spartans went through their order in the inning.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Aleywine was 2-for-4 with a pair of RBI on his home runs and three runs scored.
- A two-home run effort by Maynard also included three RBI as the Spartan designated hitter was 2-for-3.
- Derr and Navarette also added a pair of hits apiece for UT.
- Alabama transfer Mason Duke recorded the win as the starter went 6.0 innings, allowing four hits and no earned runs with four strikeouts.
- Jacinto Arredondo earned the save as he pitched the final 3.0 innings, striking out a pair of Crusaders.
OUTSIDE THE BOX:
- This marks the first win over a No. 1-ranked opponent since 2015 when UT took two of three from then-No. 1 Southern Indiana.
- Head coach Joe Urso now stands at 787 career wins as the all-time winningest coach in UT history is approaching another milestone.
Tampa faces another stiff test as it travels to Milledgeville, Ga., for a three-game series at No. 6 Georgia College. The series opens Friday at 6 p.m., and also includes a doubleheader on Saturday beginning at 1 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.