Tampa, Fl. - The University of Tampa won its sixth straight game with a victory over LIU Post in the second of a three-game series.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 2 Tampa Spartans 9, LIU Post Pioneers 2
Records: Tampa (7-2), LIU Post (0-2)
Location: UT Baseball Field | Tampa, Fl.
All-time Series: Tampa wins in the second matchup and now lead the all-time series 2-0 against the Pioneers.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Yorvis Torrealba led off the game with a double to left field. Alec Aleywine drove Torrealba in after a sac bunt by Drew Ehrhard giving the Spartans the 1-0 lead.
- In the second, Luis Medina reached first on a throwing error by LIU. After a pair of doubles by Nick Detringo and Stevie Mangrum, Tampa took a 2-0 lead.
- Mangrum got the Spartans going in the fourth with a single to left field followed by a Mikey Navarette single to the left side. Torrealba crushed his first home run of the year. Back to back doubles by Aleywine and Sirven made the score 6-0.
- The Spartans put two more runs in the seventh after a pair of doubles, a single, and a walk.
- In the top of the eight, LIU scores two runs after a throwing error and three hits.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Starting pitcher Tanner Foster would receive his second win after chucking 7.0 innings scoreless with 5 strikeouts.
- Torrealba finished 3-4 with a home run and three RBI.
- Sirven ended 3-4 with three RBI and two doubles.
- Aleywine went 3-5 with two doubles.
- Mangrum went 3-4 with two RBI.
OUTSIDE THE BOX:
- UT is now on a six-game win streak.
- Torrealba hits his first home run as a Spartan.
- Head coach Joe Urso now stands at 793 career wins as the all-time winningest coach in UT history is approaching another milestone.
The Spartans return home for their last game of the three-game series with LIU-Post. The game starts at 1 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.