MELBOURNE, Fla. - The No. 2 University of Tampa baseball team fell to Florida Tech by a 6-5 score in its Sunshine State Conference opener.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 2 Tampa Spartans 6, Florida Tech Panthers 5
Records: Tampa (8-3, 0-1 SSC), Florida Tech (4-5, 1-0 SSC)
Location: UT Baseball Field | Tampa, Fl.
All-time Series: Tampa continues to hold the lead in the all-time series, 117-33.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Panthers struck for a run in the bottom of the second.
- UT took a 2-1 lead on a two-run Danny Sirven single in the top of the third inning.
- Danny Blair slugged an RBI double in the fourth to make it 3-1 Spartans.
- After the Panthers cut the Spartans lead to 3-2 in the fourth, UT's Mikey Navarette made it 4-2 with an RBI single in the sixth inning.
- FIT seized the momentum with a four-run eighth that included a pair of UT errors and a run-scoring wild pitch.
- Trailing 6-4, UT cut the deficit to 6-5 on a run-scoring single by Nick Derr in the ninth.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Sirven had a pair of hits and also drove in two runs.
- Keven Pimentel started and did not receive a decision as he went 6.0 innings, allowing five hits and two earned runs. He would also strike out eight Panthers.
- Tyler Beck took the loss, though just one of his four runs was earned in 2.0 innings of work.
OUTSIDE THE BOX:
- 2017 was the last time Tampa started SSC play at 0-1. They would finish 20-4 as the SSC championships that season.
- Head coach Joe Urso now stands at 794 career wins as the all-time winningest coach in UT history is approaching another milestone.
The same two teams are back in action for a Saturday doubleheader that starts at 1 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.