INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 2 Tampa Spartans 15, Albany State 5
Records: Tampa (13-5) (3-3 SSC), Seton Hill (7-12)
Location: Golden Rams' Field | Albany, GA.
All-time Series: Tampa leads all-time versus Albany State 11-2. The Spartans defeated the Golden Rams to open the 2018 NCAA South Regional tournament 12-2.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Yorvis Torrealba opened up the day with a run for the Spartans off of an Alec Aleywine sacrifice fly. | 1-0 Tampa
- Albany State struck back with a run in the bottom of the first. | 1-1 Tampa
- Stevie Mangrum doubled in the top of the second and later stole third base. He then stole home via a passed ball to give the Spartans the lead. | 2-1 Tampa
- The Spartans would increase their lead by two runs in the third, courtesy of a Drew Ehrhard sacrifice fly and an Aleywine solo Home Run. | 4-1 Tampa
- Nick Derr hit an RBI double in the top of the fourth as the Spartans increased their lead over the Golden Rams. | 6-1 Tampa
- The Rams responded by scoring two runs in the bottom of the fourth. | 6-3 Tampa
- Albany State scored a run in the bottom of the fifth to cut the Spartan lead to two. | 6-4 Tampa
- Torrealba hit a two-RBI single in the top of the sixth to double the Spartans' lead. | 8-4 Tampa
- The Golden Rams fought back, scoring a run in the bottom half of the sixth. | 8-5 Tampa
- Tampa rallied in the top of the seventh, scoring four runs highlighted by an RBI triple from Mangrum. | 12-5 Tampa
- Mangrum hit a solo Home Run in the top of the eighth, solidifying the Spartan lead. | 13-5 Tampa
- Luis Medina increased the Spartan's lead to ten runs in the top of the ninth with a two-RBI single. | 15-5 Tampa
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Stevie Mangrum hit for the cycle, going 4 for 5, scoring four runs and earning two RBI's, leading the Spartan offense.
- Aleywine hit his fourth Home Run of the season while going 1 for 5, scoring one run and recording two RBI's.
- Danny Blair, Nick DeTringo, and Torrealba all increased their hitting streaks to eight, six, and seven, respectively.
OUTSIDE THE BOX:
- Mangrum's cycle is the fourth cycle in Tampa Spartans history. The last cycle was off the bat of Laz Rivera against Eckerd in 2016.
- Mangrum has now hit a Home Run in three consecutive games for the Spartans and a team-leading five on the season.
- Head coach Joe Urso now stands at 799 career wins as the all-time winningest coach in UT history is approaching another milestone.
- The Spartans now have a +85 Run Differential on the season.
Head coach Joe Urso is on the hunt for his historic 800th win as the Spartans continue their series versus Albany State tomorrow with Game 1 of their double-header slated for a 1:00 PM start time.
UT also offers a free text messaging service that sends text alerts following all Spartan events. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.