MIAMI SHORES, Fla. - The University of Tampa takes game one against Barry in a top 25, SSC matchup.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 1 Tampa Spartans 8, No. 20 Barry Buccaneers 2
Records: Tampa (21-6), Nova Southeastern (19-6)
Location: Feinbloom Field | Miami Shores, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa wins game 104 against the Bucs and now leads 79-25 in the all-time series.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Tampa scored 4 runs in the first inning after back to back two RBI singles by Cole Perry and Sam Freitas.
- In the second, Drew Ehrhard got on first after a hit by pitch. Yorvis Torrealba followed with a single to left field. Dan Sirven comes up with bases loaded and brings in Ehrhard with a sac fly to give the Spartans a 5-0 lead.
- The Bucs answered with one run in the bottom of the second, 5-1.
- In the top of the sixth, Danny Blair crushes his first home run of the season, 6-1.
- Barry puts one on the board shortening the lead to 6-2.
- Torrealba scores two on a sac fly, after three straight bunts by Freitas, Detringo, and Ehrhard making the score 8-2.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Starting pitcher Keven Pimentel goes to 6-1 on the year after only allowing two runs on six hits in seven innings.
- Blair finished 2-4 with one home run and two runs scored.
- Perry ended 1-4 with two RBI.
- Freitas 2-5 with two RBI.
OUTSIDE THE BOX:
- UT is now 6-3 in SSC play.
- Danny Blair hits his first home run of the year.
- Head coach Joe Urso now stands at 806 career wins as the all-time winningest coach in UT history is approaching another milestone.
The Spartans return to Miami Shores for a doubleheader to finish the three-game series vs. Barry. The first game starts at 1 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.