CARY, N.C. – The University of Tampa baseball team capitalized on a four-run eighth inning and secured the game one victory in the NCAA DII Championship Series.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: (#2) Tampa 4 (W: Jacinto Arredondo, 3-1), (#7) Mercyhurst 2 (L: Tyler Garbee, 8-3)
Records: (#2) No. 3 University of Tampa Spartans (42-14), (#7) No. 19 Mercyhurst University Lakers (34-15)
Location: USA Baseball National Training Complex || Cary, N.C.
All-time Series: The lone game of the series took place in 2015, as the Spartans defeated the Lakers 3-1 in Cary, N.C., en route to their seventh NCAA title.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
TOP 2ND: The Lakers tallied the first runs of the ballgame in game one as Matthew Schneider led off the inning with a single to right field. Josh Surowiec roped a fly-ball to deep right-center field and Danny Blair brought back the potential long-ball, however Surowiec walked into second for a double. Schneider scored on a groundout, and Surowiec scored from second on an error by Cole Perry. || MU led 2-0
BOT 8TH: To lead off the inning, Blair tacked on his second walk of the evening. In his first plate appearance of the game, Nick Derr wore a pitch to give Tampa their first threat of the ballgame. It was the first time UT had multiple runners on base. Danny Sirven blooped an RBI base-knock in left-center field to cut the deficit in half. After another hit-by-pitch to Steven Smith, the bases were loaded for Cole Perry. Perry laced his second triple of the season to clear the bases and give the Spartans a two-run lead. || UT led 4-2
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Keven Pimentel went seven innings for the ninth time this season; the senior struck out eight batters, walked one, and allowed two runs (one un-earned) on four hits.
- Arredondo came into relief and logged the final six outs; the junior right-hander recorded his second victory of the year.
- Sirven went 2-for-4, and the senior has recorded multiple hits in each of the last seven games.
- Blair reached base in all three plate appearances; earning two walks and a single in the fifth.
- Sirven, Perry and Blair were the only Spartans to log a base-hit.
- Mercyhurst's starting pitcher Tyler Garbee, a University of Pittsburgh transfer, notched 12 strikeouts; the Spartans have been struck out 12+ times in only three games this season.
OUTSIDE THE BOX:
- Pimental has tossed at least seven innings in his last six starts.
- Sirven, extended his hit-streak to ten games with his fourth inning single.
- The Spartans have won eight straight games, remaining undefeated in 2019 NCAA postseason play.
The University of Tampa will take the field on Tuesday evening as they face off against UC-San Diego at 7 p.m. in Cary, N.C. Follow the live stream, along with in-game statistics, on NCAA.com
UT also offers a free text messaging service that sends text alerts following all Spartan events. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.