TAMPA, Fla. - The University of Tampa men's basketball team convincingly beat the Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University Eagles 107-91 on Saturday afternoon as the Spartans bounced back from their midweek loss to PBA.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa 107, Embry-Riddle 91
Records: Tampa (6-3 Overall), Embry-Riddle (4-4)
Location: Bob Martinez Center | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the series 4-2 against ERAU.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
1st Half | The game started out close for the first ten minutes as the two teams went back and forth. However, the Spartans started to take control of the game and dictating the pace with just over 10 minutes left until the break as they opened up a double-digit lead at 24-14. Tampa was in control and was able to withstand a small run by the Eagles that made the deficit single digits with just under three minutes to go before the break. Marcel Robinson led all scorers with 14 points while Duke Shelton was close behind with 13 points of his own at halftime. The Spartans led for all but 21 seconds of the half as they ran away from the Eagles.
2nd Half | The Spartans maintained the momentum from the first half as Robinson scored a three-pointer to open the second half and extend the lead to 60-41. The Eagles tried to respond and go on a run of their own to cut into the deficit but the closest they were able to get was 16 points three minutes in before the home side once again took control and extended the lead. At the midway point of the second half, UT held a 21 point lead over the Eagles at 81-60. Tampa was never in danger of losing the game as Embry-Riddle was never able to cut the deficit to single digits and UT closed out the game to win 107-91.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Tampa shot over 60% overall and from three-point range in the first half while holding the Eagles to just over 50% overall and to 25% from three point range. In the second half, the Spartans once again shot over 60% overall while holding ERAU to under 50%
- UT forced ERAU into 11 turnovers as the home side took advantage of the mistakes to score 19 points.
- UT had five players finish with double-digit points.
- Pat Bacon scored 20 points in the second half.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Tampa bounced back from their midweek loss to PBA and won convincingly in a big regional match to move to 4-2 against Embry-Riddle all time.
- Bacon came up two points short of tying his single-game career high in points. His career high of 32 points was set earlier this season against Puerto Rico-Bayamon
- The Spartans scored more than 100 points in a game for the first time this season. Tampa did not reach the 100 point mark all of last season.
Tampa returns to action on Saturday, December 10th when they host Florida Tech at 4:00 p.m. Live stats will be available through TampaStats.com.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.