TAMPA, Fla. - The University of Tampa men's basketball team defeated Lane College to earn their third consecutive victory.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa 83, Lane 75
Records: Tampa (8-3), Lane (4-6)
Location: Bob Martinez Center | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa wins the first-ever meeting with Lane.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
1st Half | Tampa scored first on a three-point field goal by Anthony Gamble 24 seconds in, leading from that point forward despite multiple scoring droughts lasting two or more minutes, including a 4:13 streak midway through. The Spartans outshot Lane from the field, 42 percent (11-for-26) to 39 percent (10-for-26), but the Dragons outscored UT both in the paint (12-10) and off turnovers (11-7). Marcel Robinson led Tampa in scoring, contributing nine points, with Gamble (eight) and Mekhi Biffle (seven) following close behind. Duke Shelton led on defense with eight rebounds and a blocked shot.
2nd Half | Lane started the second half on a 5-0 run, later going on a 8-0 run over 2:30 to take their first lead of the game just prior to the 14-minute mark. The Spartans and Dragons changed leads three times over the next 45 seconds, the first and only lead changes of the game, prior to UT going back on top for good on a three-point shot by Gamble at the 13-minute mark. Austin Rettig led UT with 22 points, making all but one of his eight shot attempts, including all four from three and the line. Freddy Ibrahim anchored the defense with four blocks.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Rettig led the Spartans with 24 points, making 8-of-12 shots from the field, four-of-five from three and all four from the line.
- Tampa outshot Lane from the field, 56 percent to 43 percent, and from three, 52 percent to 31 percent.
- The Dragons outscored the Spartans from the bench (25-17), in the paint (40-24) and off turnovers (17-13).
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Tampa finished with 11 successful three-point shots, their third consecutive game with double-digit three-pointers after doing so just once in their first eight contests to begin the season.
- The Spartans scored at least 80 points for the third straight game, and for the fifth time in the last six contests.
- Shelton posted his sixth double-double, remaining the only Spartan with multiple such performances this season.
- Ibrahim recorded a career-high four blocks.
Tampa returns to action on Monday, December 19th to face Miles College at 5:30 p.m. Live stats will be available through TampaStats.com.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.