Final: Tampa 103, Barry 107
Records: Spartans (4-5, SSC 1-4), Buccaneers (3-4, SSC 2-3)
Location: Bob Martinez Athletics Center | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series with the Buccaneers 43-27.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
1st Half | Tampa was on the board first with a three-point jumper by junior Freddy Ibrahim. Then, senior Duke Shelton followed with a layup. The Spartans and Buccaneers traded leads throughout the half. Shelton had a momentous dunk in the last minute giving UT an eight-point lead. Senior Marcel Robinson played a key role offensively notching 11 points. Shelton led defensively recording eight rebounds. Heading into the locker room, Tampa leads Barry 37-31.
2nd Half | The Buccaneers started the half with a layup, but the Spartans immediately bounced back with a 10-point run putting UT up 47-33. In the tenth minute, Shelton lit a fuse in Tampa with his second dunk of the game. With six minutes remaining, Barry was able to come back making it a four-point game. Sophomore Mekhi Biffle then followed with five points of his own to give the Spartans a seven-point lead. In the last minute, Barry made it a three-point game and then tied it up 90-90 off a three-point jumper sending the game into overtime.
First Overtime | Tampa started the first overtime with a layup by Robinson, but Barry retaliated with a shot beyond the arc making the score 93-92. With ten seconds remaining, Freddy Ibrahim tied it up 97-97 with a layup, which sent the game into its second overtime.
Second Overtime | The Spartans scored first in the second overtime with Ibrahim sinking two free throws. The teams went back and forth until the last two minutes when Barry went on a five-point run. In the end, Tampa was unable to bounce back with Barry winning by a score of 107-103.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Biffle was the leading point scorer with 26 points, five rebounds, and three assists.
- Robinson was the second highest point scorer with 24 points, eight rebounds, and three steals.
- Shelton led the Spartans defensively as he registered 12 rebounds.
- As a team, Tampa shot 72 percent from the free throw line.
BEYOND THE BOX:
- Biffle recorded a career high in single points per game with 26.
- Shelton recorded his seventh double-double of the season with 16 points and 12 rebounds.
- This is the second time in school history where both teams scored over 100 points. The last was on January 31, 1970, when Tampa lost to South Alabama 102-100.
Tampa returns to action next Sunday, December 17, as they travel to Honolulu, Hawaii to compete in the Hawaii Christmas tournament. Live stats and video will be available through TampaSpartans.com.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.