TAMPA, Fla. - The injury-plagued University of Tampa men's basketball team suffered another Sunshine State Conference loss, this one coming to the visiting Embry-Riddle University Eagles.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final Score: Embry-Riddle 60, Tampa 56
Records: University of Tampa Spartans (9-12, 3-10 SSC), Embry-Riddle University Eagles (11-13, 4-9 SSC)
Location: Tampa, Fla. || Martinez Athletics Center
All-Time Series: The Spartans now trail the all-time series 7-4 as the Eagles claimed both meetings this season.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
1st Half | The Spartans found themselves in a quick rut as the first-half featured many offensive troubles for UT. Overall, Tampa connected on just 5-for-21 from the field, shooting at a 23.8 percent clip in the half. The Spartans were also 1-for-9 from 3-point range. Anthony Gamble led the way with 11 points in the first 20 minutes as he was a perfect 4-for-4 from the free throw line. UT would head to the break facing a 35-18 deficit.
2nd Half | The sizable deficit proved to be too much as the Spartans came out strong in the second, and would outscore the Eagles 38-25 in the final 20 minutes. The Spartans were also able to regain their shooting touch, connecting on 41.4 percent from the field while draining six long-range shots.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Gamble led the Spartans with 15 points, and also pulled down a team-leading eight rebounds.
- Devon Colley was also in double figures as the junior point guard totaled 13 points.
- Freshman Marco Downer continued his progression as he swatted a career-high six blocks and matched Gamble for team honors with eight boards.
BEYOND THE BOX:
- Downer has now registered at least one blocked shots in 10 consecutive games.
- This marks the seventh straight loss for Tampa.
- UT continues to be without three main players as Pat Bacon, Vincent Biffle and Alberto Moreno each missed the game. Each of the three has started multiple games for UT this season.
UP NEXT: Tampa hits the road for a Wednesday evening contest at Palm Beach Atlantic. The game is scheduled to tip at 7:30 p.m.
Text Alerts: UT also offers a free text messaging service that sends text alerts following all Spartan events. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.
Front Row: Download the official app of UT Athletics on the Apple or Android store. Look for Tampa Spartans Front Row app to receive notifications from your favorite Spartan teams. The app is completely free.