ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - The University of Tampa men's basketball team gained its first win of the 2019-20 season as they breezed past the Bemidji State University Beavers in the first of two games at the Eckerd College Thanksgiving Classic.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final Score: Tampa 60, Bemidji State 49
Records: University of Tampa Spartans (1-5), Bemidji State University Beavers (2-2)
Location: McArthur Center || St. Petersburg, Fla.
All-Time Series: The series record is now 1-0 in favor of the Spartans in the first-ever meeting between the NCAA Division II opponents.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
1st Half || The Spartans were the first team on the board with a made 3-pointer by senior Pat Bacon. Bemidji State then went on a 11-0 to jump out in front of Tampa 13-5. Derrick Felder broke that scoring streak with his first made jumper of the game. That started an eight-point run for the Spartans. Mid-way through the half there had already been four lead changes. Tampa's defense was sharp as it forced the beavers to commit a total of eight turnovers in the half. Martin Lakovic provided quality scoring as he finished the half with eight points and five rebounds. Tampa closed the half with a nine-point lead. || Halftime Score: Tampa 34, Bemidji State, 25
2nd Half || Bemidji scored the first two baskets of the second half. For Tampa, Felder drained a corner three that got them going. Both teams went scoreless for about three minutes until Bemidji dropped some easy ones at the line. Zach Patterson had put in good work in his 23 minutes played, scoring seven points in the game. Neither team was finding it easy to score in the half; however, Bemidji started to slowly make a comeback. Bacon continued to play strong as he scored another 11 points in the second half. The Spartans work at the charity strike allowed them to finish on top for their first win of the young season. || Final Score: Tampa 60, Bemidji State 49
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Three Spartans finished in double-figures: Bacon (21), Lakovic (10) and Felder (12).
- Lakovic recorded his first double-double of the season with 10 points and 10 rebounds.
- Bacon also dished a team-high four assists with two steals. The senior from Indianapolis was 10-for-11 from the free-throw line.
- Tampa shot 85 percent from the free-throw line.
- Tampa forced a total of 17 turnovers.
BEYOND THE BOX:
- Bacon has scored 20-plus points in four out of five games. He now has scored 1,389 career points as a Spartan. He now needs 30 points to reach the program's top-10 in points, where Chris Evans (2004-08) currently sits at 1,419 career points.
- Bemidji State was held to its season-low in points at 49. The Beavers had previously scored 100-plus points in three of four games while averaging 104.0 points per game.
- Tampa gets its first win of the season. The Spartans are no strangers to close games as four of its five losses were decided by eight points or less.
UP NEXT: The University of Tampa men's basketball team will be back in St. Petersburg to face Francis Marion on Saturday at 5:30 p.m., in a South Region matchup.
Tickets: General admission ticket prices for all Tampa regular season athletic events are $5. Youth (ages 12 and under) are admitted free of charge. UT students and faculty/staff are admitted free with a valid Spartan ID.
Text Alerts: UT also offers a free text messaging service that sends text alerts following all Spartan events. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.
Front Row: Download the official app of UT Athletics on the Apple or Android store. Look for Tampa Spartans Front Row app to receive notifications from your favorite Spartan teams. The app is completely free.