GAFFNEY, S.C. – The No. 6 University of Tampa Spartans upset the No. 1 Limestone College Saints by a score of 12-10.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa Spartans 12, Limestone Saints 10
Records: Tampa (3-0), Limestone (0-2)
Location: Saints Field l Gaffney, S.C.
All-time Series: The Limestone Saints lead the all-time series 9-1.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Saints were the first team on the board with a goal from Ben Higgins.
- Limestone then scored two more unanswered goals until the final two minutes of the first period when Andrew Kew put Tampa on the board with the assist by Matt Vetter.
- At the end of the first period, Limestone College had the lead 3-1.
- In the first minute of play to start the second period, Vetter netted a goal of his own.
- Limestone answered with 12:36 left in the half, leading 4-2.
- The Spartans then scored six unanswered goals in the second period, completely shutting down the Saint's offense.
- The third UT goal of the day was by Kew (his second).
- Then with 9:48 left in the half, Jake Mosher McGraw tied the game at 4, with an assist by Shane Hanlon.
- Kew then scored his third goal of the day, giving Tampa their first lead at 5-4 with 8:21 left in the half.
- A minute later, Hunter Van Horn scored his first goal of the game.
- Then in the final three minutes of the half, Bryan Wright scored with the assist from Vetter.
- Then with 11 seconds left, Kew earned his fourth goal of the day, this time from Mosher McGraw.
- Heading into halftime, the Spartans led the Saints 8-4.
- Coming out of the half, Kew picked up right where he left off, scoring his fifth goal of the day, his tenth of the season.
- Limestone finally got another goal with 7:24 left in the third, stopping the Spartans seven goal run.
- With 2:26 left, Wright scored his second goal of the day, the assist by Mosher McGraw.
- At the end of the third, Tampa held the lead 10-5.
- UT scored their final two goals of the game in the first two minutes of the fourth period. They came from Kew and Donavon Dempsey respectively, the first with the assist by Hanlon, the second with the assist by Max Lambert.
- With 13:00 left, the Spartans led 12-5.
- The Saints then scored the final five goals of the game. However, despite their best efforts the Spartans had too much of a cushion and won the game by a final score of 12-10.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Kew led the Spartans in goals with 6 on the day.
- Wright was second in goals with two, followed by Dempsey, Vetter, Mosher McGraw, and Van Horn all with one.
- Vetter, Mosher McGraw, and Hanlon all ended the contest with two assists.
- Ross Dickerson led the Spartans in ground balls with eight, in addition to winning 21 of the 25 faceoffs he took.
- B.J. Borowski played the entire 60 minutes for the Spartans, recording 10 saves on the day.
BEYOND THE BOX:
- Today was the first time in program history, that the Spartans were able to defeat the Saints.
Tampa will return home on Friday, February 23rd for 7:00 p.m. matchup against the NYIT Bears.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.